Registry cleaners

mcsquared

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually borked a computer by running CCleaner, let the registry cleaner run and just nonchalantly clicked yes remove all 'problems', then rebooted and it wouldn't start and of course I didn't back up the regististry.

That being said if you you backup the registry not act like an idiot you should be fine.

If used it a few times since then with no issues.

:P

Also you can be conservative with the registry scan settings in Ccleaner. Point it specifically towards applications, application paths and software for example. I'd be wary of messing with missing/shared DLLs, type libraries etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suprised that Window's own diskcleaner hasn't been mentioned. I've used CCcleaner for a couple of years, but stopped after getting my new computer about a year ago. Since then I've only used Windows diskcleaner once in a while, and to be honest, I can feel no difference at all. I know it doesn't clean the registry, but is that really necessary as mentioned by Waco?

Registry Cleaners on the whole are placebos that have no real effect, in fact I have seen them cause harm more than every actually help. CCleaner is a great program but it is great for it's ability to clean junk files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...