Any advide on transfering iphone contacts to itunes?

youtuy

So here's the thing, I accidently spilled water on my iphone 4, although it has been fixed, it still get kind of "unstable", sometimes it just suddenly shut itself down.

Since iphone 5 is coming soon, I think I'll wait till then to get a new one.However, I have a pile of important contacts saved on my watered iphone 4 and I'm so afraid that they'll be gone with the damaged phone right before I could get a new one. But if I can copy these contacts to itunes, then next time I'll be able to transfer them to the new iphone,right? Or just copy to computer? Any difference?

Anyway, I just want the contacts to be backuped, any good idea? I use Dell PC with Win 7 system.I don't mind if I have to pay for a tool but it would be the best if there's a free and easy way.Help me please!!

Hi Youtuy. Welcome to the OCC forums. I'm not an iPhone expert (prefer Droid myself), but the Mrs. has been using iPhones for a while now so I think I can help.

iTunes doesn't actually store or backup contacts (at least not on the version that is running on my wife's IP4). iTunes is more of a communication link between your phone and whatever Contacts management application you want to run on your computer to allow you to sync two or more devices. You'll need a 3rd party application installed on your PC or running from the cloud. You could use Outlook, Yahoo Address Book, Google Address Book and I think there is even an Apple or Mac address book isn't there?

Personally I use Google. In fact one of the first and only reasons I set up a GMail account was the excellent sync features. At any rate it's a three step process; 1. Pick your poison for the 3rd party app that will store your contact information. 2. Use iTunes to sync your "on phone" contacts to whatever poison you picked in step one. 3. Use iTunes to restore your contacts to the new device.

By far and away the easiest way I've found is through the Google sync service, so that's the one I recommend. A simple Google search of "use gmail to backup and restore contacts to an iPhone" will yield you all the detailed instructions you need.

Easiest thing is to simply sign up for Mobile Me / iCloud and allow it to sync between the two. You can sync contacts via Gmail as well, but I've had A LOT of trouble with that in the past.

If you have your iPhone backed up in iTunes, when you get the new iPhone you can "restore" the old backup which should copy over the contacts and everything else (apps, settings, etc.).

Depending on how many contacts are critical to you, you could always go into each one and "share contact" and then email it to yourself. When you share the contact, it'll be exported as a file (vcf? vcard? not sure...) that you can import later.

Use the backup feature in iTunes when your iPhone is plugged in. No need to sync.

Black, what version of iTunes are you using? I need to check my wife's and update it if necessary. Last time she did a backup it didn't save her contacts, but it did save everything else.

Wev

1. Open iTunes and plug in your iphone

2. Under the “info” tab you will see a field that “Sync Contacts with :” and give you a choice of which program you want to save your contacts to .By default, it is Windows Address Book.

3. Check the “Sync Contacts With:”box and choose windows Address Book

4. In the lower-right corner click the sync button and all of your contacts will be immediately saved to Windows Address Book

Next time when you want to sync these contacts to your new iphone, you just add them to itunes library, and I belive you know how to do the rest.

Here I find some interesting articles about how to transfer iphone contacts to itunes, maybe it will help you.

You may first transfer your iphone 4 contacts to your computer. and that may right there in your “Address Book” on your computer. If “Address Book” is in your dock, the icon is with “@”symbol. If not like that, go to Applications in Finder and do a search for “Address Book”

Next time, do an Address Book export just to have another back-up if you are not automatically backing up using Time Machine, your iDisk, or whatever. If you back up to a file on the same computer, copy it to an external drive.

There're so many trouble transfering from apple products to PC, As a lazy person I personally prefer using a simple software iPhone Transfer Contact, why bother?!

• 4 weeks later...

You can with the help of Outlook on your computer, create a new folder “Group” under contacts ,then Plug in your iphone 4 to sync with Outlook.

In iTunes select this “group”and make sure to select newly created iphone contacts to save in that same “Group” as well.

I suggest you go to apple's support forum for more information about how to transfer iphone contents from iPhone to PC, once you successfully add the items to to your computer you'll be able to add them to your itunes, there's just one simple step's difference.

A few advice here:

How to transer or backup iPhone contents to PC (iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer)

How to transfer contacts from iPhone to Mac( iPhone Contact to Mac Transfer)

Edited by silvia1990

You can with the help of Outlook on your computer, create a new folder “Group” under contacts ,then Plug in your iphone 4 to sync with Outlook.

In iTunes select this “group”and make sure to select newly created iphone contacts to save in that same “Group” as well.

I suggest you go to apple's support forum for more information about how to transfer iphone contents from iPhone to PC, once you successfully add the items to to your computer you'll be able to add them to your itunes, there's just one simple step's difference.

A few advice here:

How to backup iPhone contacts from iPhone to PC (iPad/iPhone/iPod to Computer Transfer)

How to sync contacts from iPhone to Mac( iPhone Contact to Mac Transfer)

What iOS version are you running? The easiest and fastest way would be to enable iCloud usage for contacts on your phone. In that way you can restore them when you get your new contact by basically doing nothing.

Edited by wadeholiday