Ubuntu On A Tablet?

gebraset

Hey guys, quick questions from a wandering mind.

I have tried to look stuff up about this all over the Internet, and the only thing I can find is running Ubuntu alongside of Android, kind of like in an emulator or a virtual machine environment. I am wondering, is it possible to completely wipe out the OS and install Ubuntu onto the tablet, pretty much making it a touch screen laptop? (Without the keyboard of course and trackpad) I'm guessing you would have to use USB to get the setup file onto the Android tablet, and I'm not sure how you would end up executing it, but I am just wondering, has anyone done this?

Also, I saw that Ubuntu is supposed to make a tablet version in 2014 or something, but that is far to long away. I am looking into either getting a laptop or a tablet come Christmas time. If the Microsoft Surface, and other tablets sporting Windows 8, are too expensive, then I plan on grabbing up an Android tablet and putting Ubuntu on it. If of course, it is possible.

the issue would be storage space....

current tablets are only 4gb or 8gb or 16gb of storage so putting Ubuntu on it you'd run out of space...

you can get cheap tablets for around 100.00 that are decent to toy with.... I got a Zenithink ZT-282 C71 from tablet express for 95.00 and its pretty sweet

the issue would be storage space....

current tablets are only 4gb or 8gb or 16gb of storage so putting Ubuntu on it you'd run out of space...

you can get cheap tablets for around 100.00 that are decent to toy with.... I got a Zenithink ZT-282 C71 from tablet express for 95.00 and its pretty sweet

Ubuntu can be installed in a very minimal amount of space depending on how many features you need. I have a few virtual machines running Ubuntu that take less than 2GB of space.

As far as space is concerned, I am not too worried about that. 16GB would be plenty, plus an SD card could also play a role I would be guessing.

Concerning the cheap tablet idea with Android, I would, but I would need some type of office suite to work. My wife and I both go to school, but having a pretty good office suite is crucial, and libre office on Ubuntu can provide a replacement to our current Microsoft Office. Also with Ubuntu is the ability to run Windows programs and games under WINE, something I am pretty sure if not available on Android. Though correct me if I am wrong.

With the ARM architecture, I do not believe there is a version of Ubuntu that supports it. So that may bring in an issue as well, until Intel starts putting in x86 chips in tablet, or Ubuntu makes their tablet version, whichever comes first.

With the ARM architecture, I do not believe there is a version of Ubuntu that supports it. So that may bring in an issue as well, until Intel starts putting in x86 chips in tablet, or Ubuntu makes their tablet version, whichever comes first.

I thought that it had recentlyish got support for arm architecture.

Theres a distro of Linux that can't run on ARM?

I figured you could run Linux on just about anything, and I'm really surprised theres no Ubuntu build on ARM even more.

Perhaps theres an offshoot that is ARM compiled?