ESXi Build

greengiant912

So I was going to repurpose an old system to do this however the ram turned out to be too expensive.... DDR 2 is expensive compared to DDR3 right now :-\

Anyways anyone have a VM server? We have a few at work, and I would like to have a nice little setup at home for doing some practice, and have some stuff like a vent server, vpn, etc...

ESXi is kinda picky about hardware I know... I want to do it on a cheaper side. I was thinking maybe an AMD build, havent done an AMD build in quite awhile. I plan on starting out with 16gb of ram, maybe moving up to 32gb eventually.

This server wont be hosting anything mission critical its just for fun :D

I really only need a CPU, RAM, Motherboard (onboard video).

I was thinking of a budget of a few hundred....

Also I was thinking about network storage but its kinda expensive lol... Could build a FreeNAS server but I hear it can get expensive, and our freeNAS server here at work hasn't really worked that great (we got a SAN now for mission critical stuff)....

Any recomendations on hardware. I plan on going over the HCL tonight on VMs site and picking out some stuff :D

So after reading around a bit I am kinda thinking about picking this up

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model x2 (16gb total)

Also a decently good cheap power supply

I dunno if I really need the 8 cores, but the price on that is pretty darn good...

I was thinking possibly a 6core to cut the costs a little more... I only have a 4 core i7 in my main right right now too...

The VMs are mostly going to be linux machines anyways so the overhead isn't going to be that huge... I do plan on running some other services on it as well...

edit: the price difference isn't that much between the 8core and 6 core...

Edited by greengiant912