Am I CPU limited

Guest Black gold saw.

Holy ., how much of a blatant fanboy can you be? Seriously it makes all of us Intel users look bad.

Just so you know, Bulldozer performs at the same level as sandy bridge in BF3, even better actually. Enjoy

Wow.. 1 game? Congratz..

Again. Not fanboy if it's true.. (Which it is)

Wow.. 1 game? Congratz..

Again. Not fanboy if it's true.. (Which it is)

Don't cherry pick your results. That's what makes you a fanboy.

It's especially important when you make sweeping generalizations and they're proven false...yet you dismiss them. :lol:

I am laughing at the fact that quadfire on an unlocked x3 doesn't seem to count for any credibility in a discussion about multi gpu set ups with an AMD CPU.

Also find it funny that a 16 year old with a compulsion to upgrade and that some new guy that was banned from their old forum both have more credibility than someone who ran quadfire with an AMD CPU.

I ran an X6 1090t at 4GHz (thats 6 cores) with a 5970 and 5870 (thats 3 MODERN DX11 (DX11 utilises the CPU more with its threaded features) gpu's and way more powerful than 2x 4870x2's) at 975mhz and 1275mhz and it sucked !! it gets beaten by two 6950's :lol:

AMD is not good for multi GPU gaming no matter what biased results you post, heck it might not even be so good for single gpu gaming. Even an i7 920 is an amazing upgrade from AM3 - and a 920 comes pretty cheap too on the 2nd hand market. Does the fact that you have to compare AM3 to LGA775 for similar performance not start ringing any bells in your head ??

And dont give the whole "AMD is cheaper and you wont know the difference" because the FX batch which is available is simalarly price to Intel counterparts whilst offering less performance.

Best gaming cpu ATM is the 2500k IMO and if you cant upgrade to LGA1155, do it. Ivy Bridge is also coming on LGA1155 so you could even get a 3550K that offers great performance (4.55Ghz IB scores comparable to 5GHz SB scores in CPU benchmarks) even if it overclocks less than SB

He has the same cards as me - 560 SLI . I have BF3 . How about I disable HT and two cores making my CPU similar to a 2500k , keep it oc'ed to 4.5GHz - which is easily achievable on a 2500k, set my 560's to the same overclock as his and go online and play 64 man Operation Firestorm MP and show a pic with my CPU usage in Task Manager and Framerate in After Burner ? This way we can see the hypothetical difference that going from a X4 to a 2500k would make ?? - This is a question to the OP, if he's still here lol

You crack me up Nyt. :lol:

I ran the same cards in both my rigs. I compared them directly. I don't care if you think the cards were old - that has very little to do with it. A 5970 and a 5870 aren't massively faster than a pair of 4870X2s - the difference is only 30-40%.

Anyway - it's clear we aren't going to agree on this. There's nothing wrong with his CPU for gaming and he's going to be disappointed if he drops a bunch of money on an upgrade. :cheers:

There's nothing wrong with his CPU for gaming and he's going to be disappointed if he drops a bunch of money on an upgrade. :cheers:

Well if the OP wants me to do my test, then he'll see a true apples to apples comparison because he has 560s and not 4870x2's

I have no doubt it'll be a bit faster - but the minimums will be roughly the same. The peak FPS will be a lot higher and the average will be slightly higher.

In a blind comparison you wouldn't be able yo tell them apart.

- This is a question to the OP, if he's still here lol

I'm still here! I haven't had a chance to respond but Iv'e been following the thread :popcorn:

Yeah Nyt Ryda, if you want to run the test, that would be great! It would reaffirm my decision to spend a few hundred on a new cpu/mobo setup or not.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I am in fact cpu limited during SOME very demanding scenarios, like 64 multiplayer BF3. If I was not then my GPU usage would be higher along with my FPS. With a lot more testing on my end, I have been able to find other very graphically demanding tests that require less CPU and the GPU usage jumps up accordingly.

Problem I have with these GTX 560s is that at 90%+ usage temps just climb and climb, my galaxy 560 did not do this. So I have pulled them and sent them to MSI on RMA. Typing on my phone or netbook sucks! The only gpu I have left hanging around is an old 8500gt but it does not cooperate with my pc for some reason, working sometimes but mostly not. I played a game of BF3 with it :rofl: Oh man hardware has come a long way!

To help with the CPU issue I started looking at 1090/1100t phenoms on ebay, but these things are as expensive as a i5-2500K! Might as well get the i5 and spring for a new mobo too. Now I can't decide...try and wait for Ivy, delayed again, now what mobo to go with, z77 not showing any gains on the z68.... what to do.

Suggestions welcome!

Edited by RedFury77