Am I CPU limited

Guest Black gold saw.

Stock VS stock the HD 4870 is only slightly faster then the 5770..

My HD 7950 is owning my original GTX 295 SLI any day in both real world and synthetic..

wasnt a single 4870 equal to a 5770? or pretty close to it.

so that would be like quadfire 5770s would match his old cards...

Yup. The theoretical performance of 4870 Quadfire is roughly equivalent to 5770 Quadfire and 5870 Crossfire.

Yup. The theoretical performance of 4870 Quadfire is roughly equivalent to 5770 Quadfire and 5870 Crossfire.

The 4870 has 400SP, the 5770 has like 800SP. Would it not make sense that a 4870x2 = 800SP = 5770 ? I suppose simple maths dont work in this case :P But its been such a long time since people even talked about the 4000 series :P Its been 3 generations since those cards came out

But you cant really compare a 5770 and 4870 because the 5770 uses DX11 while the 4870 cant

They both have 800. :lol:

My life has been a lie :wallbash: That just shows you how I never cared about the 4000 series and older :P Probably because I only cared about the GTX260 I had back then

My life has been a lie :wallbash: That just shows you how I never cared about the 4000 series and older :P Probably because I only cared about the GTX260 I had back then

:lol:

My 5970 is theoretically the same as my Quadfire setup in terms of power...I just don't have to rely on Quadfire scaling. :P

AMD CPU's are not very good for multiple cards, thats all I'll say. I remember hating my 5970+5870 with a 1090t at 4GHz because of how poorly it performed until I got an i7

The processor has nothing to do with it. How did you come up with this theory? I am with Waco on this. Phenom II's game very well BTW.

Guest Black gold saw.

The processor has nothing to do with it. How did you come up with this theory? I am with Waco on this. Phenom II's game very well BTW.

It's more of an issue with the whole AMD platform. The CPU and hyper transport simply can't feed data fast enough to a SLI or CrossfireX configuration.

Place say a single HD 5870 in a core 2 quad Q9650 system @ 4.0GHZ and a HD 5870 in a Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0GHZ. My bet is that they would perform identically across the board...

However, throw in a second HD 5870 into both of them and watch the FPS favor the itenl system..

Tell me.. Why might this be?

Say what ever you want to about either AMD or Intel. But phenom II's and AMD CPU'z have WORSE IPC and single threaded performance then intel.

The REAL achilles heel of AMD is not the CPU it self. But it's an issue with how fast the cores and NB can communicate...

Raising the NB/HT link can usually fix this...

Edited by Black gold saw.