overclocking a AMD FX-8150

mxrob

Hi guys i have spent the last week looking through forums and testing different overclocks but cant seem to get one that is right.

I am looking to get my OC to around the 4.8 (would like to go higher but dont want to risk stability)

my build is as follows

Case: AeroCool Strike-X S7 full tower

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

CPU: AMD FX-8150

RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600

GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD 6970

HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm sata 3PSU: Thermaltake toughpower 1000w

COOLING:

CPU: Thermaltake Bigwater A80with 2x Kaze-Jyuni PWM 1300rpm

The 140mm fan that was on the back of the case was placed at the top rear (top of case now has a 200mm and a 140mm) std fans that came with the case

Front 200mm (std fan that came with the case)

Bottom Skythe Slip Stream140 1200rpm

HDD: 4x Ita Kaze 1000rpm

Side: Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Red LED

any assistance is definitely appreciated i am also thinking of changing all the fans to either phobya or skythe but the STD fans seem to be doing ok the PC sits @16 on idol and low 30s when in games like BF3

First of all, I would ditch theThermaltake Bigwater. The pumps have a very high rate of failure and Thermaltake uses mixed metals in there kit. Mixed metals are BAD and cause corrossion. You will probably not get enough cooling to get 4.8GHz with the Bigwater but perhaps 4.6GHz,

Edited by Drdeath

First of all, I would ditch theThermaltake Bigwater. The pumps have a very high rate of failure and Thermaltake uses mixed metals in there kit. Mixed metals are BAD and cause corrossion. You will probably not get enough cooling to get 4.8GHz with the Bigwater but perhaps 4.6GHz,

ok not a problem i will swap to the noctua NH-D14 air cooler i was originally going to put in but the water cooler for free :D (i would be happy around the 4.5-4.6)

yeah i wasn't going to go water cooling at all only threw it in as it was free but the NH-D14 is installed now just increased the multiplier to 23 but didn't change anything else seems to work but i wouldn't mind tweaking all the other settings ill prob slowly work on that over time and ill post settings here once stable i was hoping someone would have had pre defined settings but meh

Keeping an 8150 cool at 4.5+ GHz is no easy task. Even my full on watercooling setup struggled a bit when I had my FX chip. :lol:

When I overclocked my 8120 (essentially the same chip) I just cranked up the multiplier one notch at a time till it wasn't stable, then I'd add a bit of voltage, then once it was stable I'd push it a bit further. Rinse, repeat.

Test stability with Prime95 and IntelBurnTest. WATCH TEMPERATURES.

I wouldn't exceed 1.5 volts or so on the CPU if you want it to last. I imagine temps will be an issue long before you hit that kind of voltage though. :cheers:

As long as you keep your temps respectable(under 60 degrees) You can easily take FX processors over 1.5 volts. You can take it up to 1.6 volts. 60 on the cores is still well under the TCase of the processor. To get 4.6Ghz you will most likely need ion the range of 1.5-1.53 volts on vcore.