ASUS P9X79 Deluxe X79 Chipset Motherboard Tested

Nemo

Aside from that eye-gougingly bad color scheme that looks like an awesome board!

EDIT: Also - have you tried using the ASUS caching? Is it even close to the performance of Intel SRT?

Just because it doesn't have a window, doesn't mean that the case is cheap. Some people just don't want a window on their case.

The Cosmos II doesn't have a window, and I dare anyone to call that cheap :lol:

PS: @ Waco, I'm running a 120GB Vertex 3 as a cache for my 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black on my Sabertooth X79 and it is gorgeous! I haven't done any benches but if I start playing a game you can definitely see it in loading, the first couple loads on a new game take a while since it hasn't cached yet, but after that the load time gets cut down to maybe 1/10th.

There are some very big differences as well, for instance Intel SRT limits at 60GB for your cache if I recall correctly, but you have the option to have to cache work with a Raid array of mechanical drives. While the ASUS caching has no limit on the size of the cache, but it can only cache for a single mechanical drive so that limits you to 2TB since you can't Raid it. Personally I'd like to be able to hook up a minimum of three HDD's with one SSD. Having three 2TB Caviar Blacks in Raid 5 would be great.

Aside from that eye-gougingly bad color scheme that looks like an awesome board!

EDIT: Also - have you tried using the ASUS caching? Is it even close to the performance of Intel SRT?

Next project Got some caching drives and a PCIe caching solution I'll be looking at.

It also does not require a raid array setup like IRST so in that respect Its better.

Sweet! I'm definitely interested in the differences between the Intel implementation and the ASUS version.

Probably the nicest thing about it is the ease of setting it up. There's two SATA III ports on the motherboard dedicated to it, you plug your SSD into one, your HDD into the other then all just have to do is click a button to activate in Windows. Then if you want to take it out all you have to do is hit the button again. There's no fooling around in BIOS or anything like that.

Probably the nicest thing about it is the ease of setting it up. There's two SATA III ports on the motherboard dedicated to it, you plug your SSD into one, your HDD into the other then all just have to do is click a button to activate in Windows. Then if you want to take it out all you have to do is hit the button again. There's no fooling around in BIOS or anything like that.

That's all I had to do with the Intel SRT too. :lol:

• 1 month later...

From the article:

Intel-controlled SATA 6Gb/s that support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10.

Hello,

I do not understand. How can you have anything larger than RAID 1, from 2 ports? From looking at the I/O panel, the left two white SATA ports are Marvel. The middle blue are Intel Sata3. The right two white SATA ports are said to also be Intel but Sata6. But, there are only 2 ports.

Is the RAID then from the Intel blue ports since there are more than 2 of those?