Bye Bye Core 2 Duo

G500

Not doing a full blown workstation but the difference in terms of money from going from a 2500K to a 2600K is smaller than going from a HD7870 to the next worthwhile step up on performance card. My dad might feel benevolent but 70€ more on the build isn't quite the same as 100+ for the next worthwhile step up on the graphics side. At least this is how i feel, i might be wrong here.

No i am not confusing Asus for any other company, i was just speaking about what i heard regarding the customer service not the quality of the products themselves.

Well if nothing else put the money in savings then. Just don't get the i7 if you don't need to. There are so many other smarter application for that money.

As for asus, that is weird. The only idea I cam up with to explain the difference in customer service is that American CS might be better than Portuguese CS?? :dunno:

I know if I need an RMA, I get to talk to a live person, I get free 2 way shipping, and I get a fairly quick turn around time. The only two companies that come even close the quality of CS has been gigabyte, and EVGA. MSI is terrible in comparison.

I know if I need an RMA, I get to talk to a live person, I get free 2 way shipping, and I get a fairly quick turn around time. The only two companies that come even close the quality of CS has been gigabyte, and EVGA. MSI is terrible in comparison.

Or, if you shop through Newegg, it's all of 5 seconds to get free shipping and extremely fast turnaround times. :P

Or, if you shop through Newegg, it's all of 5 seconds to get free shipping and extremely fast turnaround times. :P

Blah blah blah, Tristan does things weirdly, blah blah blah

You know waco, one day someone will have the same backwards luck as I do, and you are going to be really glad I am around to guide them through their miserable day :rofl::P

Joking aside though, I do hope you understand I was talking about RMA's wayyyy beyond the date that newegg will help you.

It could have been just plain bad luck with the service and i only got to hear about that bad experience. Heck i never had to try it myself with the last 4 Asus boards i owned because i didn't have any problems with them.

One of my friends who is currently working in Silicon Valley knows people at MSI that wouldn't buy MSI. That told me a lot there. That said, my first build I did myself is still running today just fine and it is on a MSI board. I would pick the ASUS board but just because I would doesn't mean you have to. Like I said, a sweet deal is still a sweet deal. :)

I think you will have a very nice system! :cheers:

I always hear MSI graphics cards are top tier or are you talking about their motherboards?? (which I hear mixed reviews but seem to offer the best price/performance)

My friend's P67-G45 overclocked his 2500K to 4.5ghz just fine and the bios was really user friendly doing so (then again all the UEFI ones seem to be), so I'd get an MSI based on that.

I loved, LOVED my last board (Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME). So I'd go Gigabyte again and before that I had all ASUS and back when bios updating was hit or miss, I had RMA'd 2 maybe three boards with them and they didn't have the best customer service in the world IMHO, but maybe they're improved. It may not be a big deal now with UEFI bioses being so widespread, but I have always found ASUS bioses to use unfriendly setting labels for overclocking where you have to do alot of reading before you have any confidence with what you're doing. My Gigabyte (not UEFI) I just hopped in and overclocked super well!

I tend to stay away from MSI boards after the whole debacle with them rating boards for higher wattage CPUs than they could actually handle. You only nearly burn your house down once before you swear off something like that.

I tend to stay away from MSI boards after the whole debacle with them rating boards for higher wattage CPUs than they could actually handle. You only nearly burn your house down once before you swear off something like that.

Still doesn't scare me off, just means I'd have to finally move out :biggrin:

well, found out the GD-80 has 5 years warranty given my MSI, they seem pretty confident with their product to be doing this.

I think i will be taking the sweet deal and getting one, i will come and post about the board's reliability and if i have any issues at all setting it up if you guys are curious about it. :)

I always hear MSI graphics cards are top tier or are you talking about their motherboards?? (which I hear mixed reviews but seem to offer the best price/performance)

Keep in mind - these are comments from MSI employees ...so asking me to specify and provide more details is hard. They said they wouldn't buy "any" MSI products knowing what they know.

My own perspective - From what I've read on MSI motherboard design, I wouldn't buy MSI. I would probably try one of their graphics cards tho, but I would definitely pay a bit more ($10-$20) for a brand I thought might serve me better.