SSD Decision

NerdGoneWild

So as title stated, I am about to order my first SSD! I have narrowed it down to the Crucial M4, Samsumg 830, and the Corsair Performance Pro. All will be the 128gb versions. My limit was around 200$

Other question is since I already installed my single copy of Windows 7 ultimate on my HDD, how do I go about putting it on my ssd instead.Also how can I set it up once I receive the ssd to default load programs to the hdd. I believe I would make the ssd primary loading device then set hdd as primary storage?

Edited by NerdGoneWild

No,man you got to do fresh install on SSD it is the best way to get full performance.About what SSD,i got crucial,but I suggest that you go on "Newegg" page and see who got more stars in consumers review.OCZ got new Vertex 4 128gb with Indilinx Controller,if i didnt buy SSD i will definitely cheek what scores are in game.Vertex 4 512gb have 1066 points in AS-SSD benchmark it is best results there,but like you say,you got 200$.

Edited by Marvell Chip

Agility 3 120gb is 120$ after rebate

the intel 520 is 170$

the OCZ may very well die in 2 years, but you can just send off the RMA and get a new one assuming OCZ is still around which I believe they will be

in two years there will probably be huge advances in SSD controllers and drive space, so having an SSD last forever is actually not ideal but the longer the better right

Agility 3 120gb is 120$ after rebate

the intel 520 is 170$

the OCZ may very well die in 2 years, but you can just send off the RMA and get a new one assuming OCZ is still around which I believe they will be

in two years there will probably be huge advances in SSD controllers and drive space, so having an SSD last forever is actually not ideal but the longer the better right

i have never heard of buying a product and planning on its failure as a selling point for it.

i have got dual corsair force 3 120gb ssds, and i am very happy with them, but i will be upgrading to something like the intel 520 series or crucial 120gb ssds in the coming months

The M4 is not comparable with a 520<br>the write speeds are closer to the 320 series, which is fine as you get what you pay for<br><br>I'm sure you know Vertex 4 is out and most likely intel will refresh their lineup<br>520 is a fine drive but if you plan to buy one in a few months I'm sure there will be more options to consider<br><br><br><br><br>

For that money you can pick up a intel 520 120GB drive, which is the most reliable sand force drive on the market, and has some if the best speeds

Fixed.

IMHO never get SF controllers if you want reliability. But I've yet to see a report on the 520 though. If you have good luck, a sandforce drive would last for many years.

I'd say go for the m4 or look at the OCZ Vertex4. The Indilinx controller looks great.

So I took the plunge and ordered the Corsair Performance Pro 128gb. I read numerous articles and pretty much all of them said it is amazing and reliable. OCZ scared me away with more than half of their reviews being negative...Intel and Samsung were close runners up. I felt like too many people bandwagon with the crucial, and although it seems like a good drive for the money, I have money to spend :P

I am also for the intel drive. The new vertex 4 is meant for more of an average consumer (considering people like us actually like to be able to write data to the drive :teehee::P

Something you might want to consider if you are a speed freak (Watch how many people will flame me for saying this) is raid 0. You can probably find a sale on some 90GB SSD's for about 100 each to throw together for some awesome performance benchmarks. That is not what I would recommend doing if you are not prepared for the torments of it, but if you like speed, it is food for thought if you catch my drift :evilgrin:

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

i have never heard of buying a product and planning on its failure as a selling point for it.

i have got dual corsair force 3 120gb ssds, and i am very happy with them, but i will be upgrading to something like the intel 520 series or crucial 120gb ssds in the coming months

Call me old fashioned but I don't trust any memory based storage device (especially tech that changes as quickly as the SSD market) as much as a good old platter drive. So i just recommend getting the best SSD for the buck, since day to day usage will net little noticeable difference between the best bencher drive and the best value drive IMHO. Eventually they'll stick with one design but until then we're all just guinea pigs lol

I love my Vertex, just hit 8 months a couple days ago. I backup every month. My Kingston 64GB is also a very great perform and I also picked that up for $1/GB as well

The M4 is not comparable with a 520<br>the write speeds are closer to the 320 series, which is fine as you get what you pay for<br><br>I'm sure you know Vertex 4 is out and most likely intel will refresh their lineup<br>520 is a fine drive but if you plan to buy one in a few months I'm sure there will be more options to consider<br><br><br><br><br>

Real life performance difference= none :P

So I took the plunge and ordered the Corsair Performance Pro 128gb. I read numerous articles and pretty much all of them said it is amazing and reliable. OCZ scared me away with more than half of their reviews being negative...Intel and Samsung were close runners up. I felt like too many people bandwagon with the crucial, and although it seems like a good drive for the money, I have money to spend :P

Let us know how it goes, though with your comments on failures keep in mind that if a company sells more, it has more products out there to fail...

Edited by IVIYTH0S