Built a Desk

I wasn't 100% what section to put this thread in, so if this is the wrong place please move it to the right one. This is also basically a copy of a thread I have on another forum.

I had designed a mockup in Sketchup and went from there. These mockups are just a basic idea, things got changed around during the build and the monitor stand is completely placeholder in the mockup.

CLICK FOR LARGE IMAGES

Desk_Mockup1.png Desk_Mockup2.png Desk_Mockup3.png

Desk_Mockup4.png Desk_Mockup5.png Desk_Mockup6.png

So, on to the pictures...

Starting work on the legs.

legs_constructin.jpg

Next we jump ahead a few weeks or so to a nearly complete desk, just adding final touches like trim. Still needs stained and then coated in finish for protection.

A good overview pick of the front of the desk, with the case shelf on the side.

desk_front.jpg

The back

desk_rear.jpg

desk_rear_2.jpg

Shelf for my modem/router and anything else I plan to stick there...

desk_shelf_side.jpg

From the side

desk_side.jpg

Finished rear cable area (added the support across the bottom, the monitor support pole will be bolted to this)

rear_cables_area_full.jpg

rear_cables_area_side.jpg

(Note to self, pre-drill holes to prevent wood splitting)

Case Shelf with trim (The blocks allow the case to still have it's roller wheels on it, the case support pads rest securely on the blocks If I want to remove the wheels, I just detach the shelf, unscrew the blocks and I have a flat shelf)

case_shelf_attached.jpg

case_shelf_deattached.jpg

case_shelf_joint.jpg

Everything here was done with hand tools and these two saws. No fancy table saws here

tools.jpg

Edited by S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • Like 1

Jump forward a few days.

Finally got it all stained and the desktop coated with a few coats of Lacquer. I used "Natural" stain (so clear), so it didn't change the color at all.

The rest of the desk has some polyurethane on it though it needs a few more coats.

back_stained.jpg

case_shelf_attached_stained.jpg

shelf_stained.jpg

side_stained.jpg

top_stained_lacquered.jpg

And some pics of the finished desk. The black tape are markers for where parts of the monitor stand will be, so ignore those. The stand will be attached to the desk, but built in a way it can easily be removed and the desk used without it.

finished_desk_isometric.jpg

finished_desk_front.jpg

finished_desk_front_angle.jpg

finished_desk_front_low.jpg

finished_desk_front_low2.jpg

finished_desk_side.jpg

finished_desk_side_case_shelf.jpg

finished_desk_back.jpg

finished_desk_back_angle2.jpg

finished_desk_back_cable_area.jpg

finished_desk_back_case_angle.jpg

Nice, i am in the middle of a desk build too, except i have my computer integrated in the desk.

you are 1 up on me for the tools though, i got a circular saw and a jigsaw, no dropsaw here.

looks like a nice sturdy desk for a decent sized rig, cant wait to see it in action with some nice big screens on top

Nice, i am in the middle of a desk build too, except i have my computer integrated in the desk.

you are 1 up on me for the tools though, i got a circular saw and a jigsaw, no dropsaw here.

looks like a nice sturdy desk for a decent sized rig, cant wait to see it in action with some nice big screens on top

It'll have 3 ASUS VW266H Monitors on it once it's done.

thats a really fine desk. I wish stores would sell such high quality stuff. Simple and elegant. What sort of training does one need to be able to make those?

I got lucky, my father has 30+ years experience with wood working/carpentry/house building and he's been helping me out with the build.

It'll have 3 ASUS VW266H Monitors on it once it's done.

I got lucky, my father has 30+ years experience with wood working/carpentry/house building and he's been helping me out with the build.

Wow that looks really good. Can't wait to see some pics of your setup!

Edited by NumbWarri0r

Looks good. I wish i had time/cash/skill to build something like yours or mucho's. My epic piece of excuse for a desk is a door layed over the fram of an old walmart desk. Loads of room but that's all its go going for it.

Looks good. I wish i had time/cash/skill to build something like yours or mucho's. My epic piece of excuse for a desk is a door layed over the fram of an old walmart desk. Loads of room but that's all its go going for it.

Ahaha sh|t yeah door desk

Great work S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can't wait to see it all geared up.

my desk is a bit of kitchen worktop, on a little plastic desk...

nice work OP!!! :thumbsup: wish I had the space to fit a desk like that in my room :D

Good work man. I really like the idea of the holes leading into the "cable management" area you put in, nice thinking! Honestly, I think that's the best idea I've ever seen in a desk xD. There's one thing I would add if that was my desk: A rod protruding about 5" from the right corner of the desk (for hanging headphones when you get up.) Thought I'd mention it in case you wanted something like that too.

I've been wanting to build my own desk forever, and unlike the million mods I consider and never do: It's something I'm going to do. When I do, I'll let you know what it looks like.