[Help] HDMI No Signal

•  
  • Couple weeks ago I had an issue with a monitor. I did nothing except unplug the power cord to my PC, and when I put it back in, I got no HDMI signal to the monitor (monitor detects something is plugged in, but says 'No Signal').
  • I tried all the trouble shooting I could think of... bought a new HDMI cable, swapped video cards, cleared CMOS, checked all connections, rewired the PC...
  • I got a new monitor, and same damn problem. This time I tried an HDMI cable I was using for my TV, and suddenly the 2nd monitor works. I figured the problem must have been a bad cord (though it would have been awful luck to have 2 bad cables in a row)
  • Today, I unplug the power cord again, and when its plugged back in.... you guessed it... no HDMI signal from monitor. Whats funny is, this is using the same HDMI cable that worked last time.
  • I have tried plugging the monitor into a laptop using HDMI, and still nothing.
  • However if I whip out a VGA cord, the 2nd monitor works flawlessly. I try the VGA cord with the 1st monitor, and it works also.
    :dunno:

To summarize:

Two monitors from different brands and different years, 3 different cables, and they won't read an HDMI signal (from two different PC's, and different video cards). VGA works for both.

Is there a way to like, 'fry' and HDMI connection? All I did was remove the power cord from my PC, and it seems as this has caused the HDMI inputs on both monitors to fail.

Anyone ever experienced something like this? I have never heard of it.

Yup. Little button. Goes from VGA to HDMI.

When I have HDMI plugged in and switch it to HDMI, I get 'HDMI No Signal'.

When I plug VGA in I get a picture when I switch to VGA.

I should add that my PC is working fine. I can hear when the Windows sounds when I turn it on, and I can even enter in my password and hear it log in.

I just cannot get any digital signal to my display it seems.

I guess ill try some more combinations tonight to see if I can get lucky... matching different cards, cables, and monitor until I get a picture.

I'm sure once I start replacing enough things I'll get it figured out... but my biggest concern is I still don't know what caused it. Removing power from a PC ever caused strange problems for anyone else? I thought it was harmless (provided it was shut down, of course).

I guess ill try some more combinations tonight to see if I can get lucky... matching different cards, cables, and monitor until I get a picture.

I'm sure once I start replacing enough things I'll get it figured out... but my biggest concern is I still don't know what caused it. Removing power from a PC ever caused strange problems for anyone else? I thought it was harmless (provided it was shut down, of course).

I've left my monitor on more times than I can count when I unplug the PC power cord. Then I remember to turn off the monitor when the No Signal box pops up on screen. :lol: I doubt that is the issue.

What brand/type of monitor is it?

Well at first it appeared like it was one of my 5870's. I got a picture when I took out 5870 Number 1 and stuck 5870 Number 2 by itself.

Then I started RMA process for 5870 Number 1.

Then I turn on my PC today, and same thing all over again. This time I notice a VGA_LED on my motherboard. I turn it off and back on, and now I only get a 'BOOT_DEVICE_LED' to light up. I haven't been able to find much info on this LED, but it seems to me the problem is the motherboard, as two cards can't seem to work in either PCI-E slot.

Looks like its time to RMA the mobo... :yucky:

Anyone know how fast Asus handles their shyte?

Edited by LuckyDeath

IIRC Asus is pretty good with RMAs and they may be able to cross-ship you a new board if you pay a fee. I'm fairly sure I remember hearing that they cross-shipped back in the day of my Asus nForce4 board.

That would be sublime. Do I have to request it, or will it be an option later on in the RMA process (I just opened a ticket tonight, so probably a day or two before I can wrangle an RMA number out of them)?

Thanks for the heads up (and the help).