HTPC Build

GuJuMaN89

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely fabless should :P you need to fill up the side of that milo case with fans.

not at 35w. At 65 w of the normal 2100 yeah I would agree. Unless you get a case with no fan mount above the CPU heatsink, he should be fine. I would say that 35 watts with a max of 10% load qualifies it for being passive.

If nothing else he could always try first.

not at 35w. At 65 w of the normal 2100 yeah I would agree. Unless you get a case with no fan mount above the CPU heatsink, he should be fine. I would say that 35 watts with a max of 10% load qualifies it for being passive.

If nothing else he could always try first.

Are you not listening entirely fanless isn't going to happen you still need some air flow. Sure you can have passive cooling on everything but if it's coing to be left in a case sitting in a capinwy with no air flow it's going to get very toasty.

You will need to get some fans on the side of the milo case other wise the heat won't really be dissipating anywhere.

As for the APU stuff, I would wait until AMD releases their trinity line of APUs. I have heard some off the wall rumors that the discrete GPU will support 3D, but last I checked, that was not confirmed.

The thing you have to understand with AMD at the moment is you either buy old stuff, or you buy new crappy stuff and stupid prices. The i3 2100 can be bought at about 110 (since they always seem to have a sale on them) dollars, and for the same price you can get the AMD 4100.

The biggest difference that will impact you (since CPU speed doesn't truly matter for you) is power consumption. The AMD 4100 is a 95 w chip. When I first saw this I thought AMD deserved a big fat :slap: . The intel i3 on the other hand is only 65 w which means it will run a lot cooler and quieter. Since you are building a pc in a practical hot box, the i3 will be a MUCH better fit.

The only reason I am not going with the APU is because I do not believe it runs 3d at the moment (correct me if I am wrong). If it did, then build an APU system, but there is no sense in paying a premium for an APU when you would need a seperate graphics card.

AFAIK the Fusion APU does support 3D playback (or at least the A8-3850)

Also the A6-3500 is a 65w chip. Meanwhile Bulldozer chip doesn't have any iGPU if I remembered correctly. Thaus the no need of an FX4100.

But I do agree that OP should wait for Trinity.. It's graphics are supposed to be much better then current Fusion APU.

Edited by vandreadstriker

Are you not listening entirely fanless isn't going to happen you still need some air flow. Sure you can have passive cooling on everything but if it's coing to be left in a case sitting in a capinwy with no air flow it's going to get very toasty.

You will need to get some fans on the side of the milo case other wise the heat won't really be dissipating anywhere.

I haven't seen the part where he was going to put it in a cabinet with no airflow. I was assuming worst case scenario with having the case sit on a table next to the tv so that everyone can hear it and not the movie. Yeah, if it goes in any where that reduces airflow, you are screwed for fanless and I would just go with wacos suggestion of using the stock cooler. If you are not putting it in a cabinet and you have it sitting out with nothing blocking the air vents AND you have a normal to good air circulation in your home, then you should be fine.

I am going off my experience with passively cooling a i5 at the old tech store I used to work at with a NH-D14 with all the fans taken out. At 30% load I hit 65C. That was with a 1156 socket and a pretty warm i5. If I took it any higher, yes I would have been screwed......BIG TIME. With less than half the watts as the i5 with lower stress load, I have a hard time believing you would run into trouble. Then again though, if I did miss something and you do as stoner says and put it in a cabinet, there is no way in hell it would make it back out of that cabinet alive.

My issue with your build is that I haven't seen any performance numbers out of that CPU. I really have no idea how good or bad it is.

:blink: It's for a HTPC and it's a dual core Sandy Bridge. What more do you need to know?

hmm i might wait a bit for the next gen processors to see how they stack up. im not in a rush to buy. and yeah, its going to go into a cabinet, so will need some fans to keep it cool. i still remember back in the day with my FX55 overclocked, having a massive thermaltake heatsink on that sucker and 5 case fans hahaha

:blink: It's for a HTPC and it's a dual core Sandy Bridge. What more do you need to know?

That is the same thing the guy at best buy told my sister when she bought her laptop. It was a 1155 Pentium chip, and it was dual core. That thing chokes......bad. I don't know if it is software abuse because my sister clicks on every shiny button on the web she sees, or that it was just a slow CPU, but it lags when you open up chrome.

I am not going to damn the CPU you chose for what little I know about it, but at the same time, I am not simply going to trust that CPU at face value either. I hope you can respect that.