PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Fogel

Release Date and Price

• Holiday 2013
  • Price: TBA (lower than PS3's launch price)

Technical Specs and Hardware

• GPU will be an AMD Radeon integrated into the APU
  • CPU will be an AMD 8 core x86-64 processor integrated into the APU
  • 8GB GDDR5 unified memory
  • HDD is TBD
  • Blu-Ray/DVD Disc Drive
  • 802.11 b/g/n Wireless
  • Bluetooth 2.1
  • USB 3.0
  • HDMI out, Analog-AV and optical out
  • Supports up to 4k resolution
  • Games will still be rendered at 1080p resolution

PlayStation Eye

• Think competition to Kinect

• 2x Lenses operating at 1280x800 resolution

• 60fps video capture rate

• Aperture of f/2.0, with 30 cm focusing distance, and an 85

Edited by Fogel

1. No reason to not call it a PS4.

2. Wish they'd go with NVIDIA, especially with how Kepler is shaping up. Would also be nice if console gamers got to enjoy PhsyX.

3. No backwards compatibility with PS3 games?! I'm assuming it's still going to access the same PSN, as well as use Blu-Ray, so I don't really get why backwards compatibility would even be a question....It doesn't seem like there's be anything they'd have to do special.

4. The link between Vita and Orbis is interesting. I've heard "Cross Play" is currently hit or miss right now, so if it's built-in with Orbis, that would be pretty nice.

5. I agree with AZN's post.

2. Wish they'd go with NVIDIA, especially with how Kepler is shaping up. Would also be nice if console gamers got to enjoy PhsyX.

3. No backwards compatibility with PS3 games?! I'm assuming it's still going to access the same PSN, as well as use Blu-Ray, so I don't really get why backwards compatibility would even be a question....It doesn't seem like there's be anything they'd have to do special.

Console gamers do have Physx; even the Xbox 360.

The next playstation will have a whole new set of hardware, so it'll need to use emulation which is incredibly demanding to do. The rule of thumb is that you need a system that has 10+x the system you're emulating

They have been getting the most of out current-gen console games for awhile now. It's time to upgrade and give devs more processing power and memory :D

So they say.

The next playstation will have a whole new set of hardware, so it'll need to use emulation which is incredibly demanding to do. The rule of thumb is that you need a system that has 10+x the system you're emulating

Not to mention the Cell architecture is completely different from other architectures.

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY and USED GAMES:

In this category Nintendo will win/keep a lot of fans. The majority of the console gamers really don't debate on the web so they don't think like most of us do. Many of them also do not have as much liquid funds as we do. The rental and used gaming market is extremely large for most console gamers. Consoles are a great way to buy cheap hardware and pay as little as possible for software. I can respect companies want to make money, but at the same time knowing your audience somtimes pay larger profit margins than your own personal goals do. The Wii proved that. The Wii doesn't appeal to most gamers ...for example, how many here at OCC will go to bat for the Wii and say it is hands down the best gamers console and provides the best gaming experience of the 3 choices? I expect sarcasm or crickets chirping to be the response. Yet the Wii completely dominated in sales. Nintendo knows their audience. That is the difference of a relatively new console developer - Microsoft - vs a veteran - Nintendo.

I think XB has the most to lose at this point axing used games. Sony has a lot of devout fans and can absorb the blow easier. Not to mention if the PS4 is a complete powerhouse compared to the other consoles many gamers will forgive the lack of used games.

One thing Nintendo is doing right with the Wii U is making sure as much of their stuff (software AND hardware) is backwards comapitible. Nintendo lost their niche on the Wii and sales have plummeted so they HAVE to be the first out of the gate, which means once again their hardware will be completely weak compared to the competition. The other problem is many Wii owners will now wonder, "will my stuff be useless and why would I purchase a new system?" More so with the Wii than the XB or PS simply because Nintendo is launching first ...and also partly because I doubt there are many who still use their Wii. So being able to salvage most of their gear will be a huge selling point.

Something tells me that Sony and Microsoft made an arrangement together to fight the used gaming market because otherwise I don't see why both would do it at the same time. Perhaps they got pressure from gaming companies that threatened lack of 3rd party support. Who knows, just a gamer overanalyzing here. Though without any knowledge of why these decisions are being made... if I was king for a day at Sony/Microsoft I would let my competition yank out the used gaming market and do the complete opposite. I think it is a huge mistake and shows a lack of understanding of their fan base. Granted if it is because gaming devs/publishers are threatening lack of support that obviously complicates matters.

Nintendo can get by with limited 3rd Party Support - hell most people pretty much expect it these days.

Best Chance: Wii U

Worst Chance: XB720

HARDWARE:

Well if I judge the Wii U, XB720 and PS4 simply on leaked specs and nothing else... the only system to look forward to at the moment is the PS4/Orbis. I still think it is horrid idea for the NextBox to use such a dated video card. Microsoft isn't Nintendo so the arguement that Nintendo proved more can be done with less only holds so much weight. Nintendo has a long standing army of faithful fans that will buy Mario, Zelda and Metroid games regardless of how they look because gameplay is always good. If I was Microsoft right now I would ask myself, "how many hardcore fans did I acquire with Kinect?" I can't imagine too many. The only true fan base XB has is XBL. Yep a service fans have to pay extra for, but XBL is well known for providing better online gameplay - perceived or real.

Problem for most XB fans is they want the latest games in the best looking version available ...or at least close enough to the competition. So if the PS4 can dominate the XB720 graphically then all Sony has to really worry about is beefing up PSN to be more competitive with XBL. I said the same thing before the 360/PS3 launched but the Cell architecture pretty much held the PS3 back. Focusing more on the GPU gives the developers an easier route to develop superior games. Makes me wonder how AMD was able to pull off selling outdated tech to Microsoft and current day tech to Sony - that is pretty damn slick. I call the real winner to be AMD here.

Now we look at the Wii and here is where the Wii U loses ground real quick. The goal of the Wii U is to gain some of the core gaming market back so it's not simply grandmas and soccer moms trying to look cool in their living rooms. Unfortunately the Wii U is really just competition to the XB360 and PS3. The Wii U will probably face the same problems it has now (odd 3rd party support, limited to no multiplat game support) a year or two after the competition releases their next salvo. The tablet better provide some very innovative features to attract people. I'm sure Nintendo games will find an innovative use for it but the 3rd party games will probably just be gimmicky.

I will say, if there is one company that would be willing to change their hardware spec at this point in the process it would be Microsoft - they are quite competitive and would take the loss. It doesn't mean they will, I just see them being the only company that would take that chance.

Best Chance: PS4

Worst Chance: Wii U

Edited by Fogel