New PSU

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the psu I already have, but I picked up a phenom ii x4 940 black edition, Asus motherboard and OCZ ram with a good CPU cooler for $175, which I am turning into a machine for a friend. Was gonna pull out the psu from my machine and put it in his while I planned on picking up something modular for myself.

IMHO the 650 you have right now would be more than enough for what you're planning. A pair of 7870s uses what, 300 watts max?

You need to look at the amps not watts that will suffice the system......... More amps on the rails the better.........

Edited by Drdeath

Just curious but doesn't a PSU perform best at like 75% of max or something close to that? So would the 750W be at least minimum.

50-75%, yes. Remember that almost no system spends much of its time at max TDP aside from initial testing. My rig can pull nearly 700 watts at full tilt but it rarely pulls more than 300-400 watts when gaming.

Just curious but doesn't a PSU perform best at like 75% of max or something close to that? So would the 750W be at least minimum.

But the story is different with 80+ Silver/Gold PSUs.

But the story is different with 80+ Silver/Gold PSUs.

no not really........

All PSUs still have a curve and you will find that nearly all of them max out their efficency at 50-75% of their rated power

ST75f-85f-1000F-1200f-g-1.jpg