Review Request

comfynumb

I like the SandyBridge E Platform.. But wanted to save a few dollars on the cpu... I noticed that the asrock x79 boards support the recently released e5 server chips.. The E5 2603 is a 1.8 ghz quad with not alot of fancy features but the huge memory bandwidth and good ipc of sandybridge e.. I was wondering if you guys would do a small review of E5 server chips in one of these asrock boards... I was wondering how far the 1.8 ghz part would oc to and in the end if it was worth saving 110.00 dollars over the 3820... If not I will probably still purchase. I will let everyone know how it goes... The review would have made my decision a little easier...

The server motherboards normally have zero options for oc... So it may be true that the E5s are locked or it maybe that you are talking about the server board it self that does not support it.. The asrock boards that I am speaking off will offer these settings. Anyone try this that can tell me definitively that these chips are fully locked.... The 3820 has setting for bclk.. 3 if i can recall the review correctly...

"On the Socket LGA 2011 X79 platform, Intel has given enthusiasts a tool that allows the CPU bclock to be adjusted up via a series of Gear Ratios that start at 100 MHz, all the way to 250 MHz. To get the most out of the Core i7 3820, I will have to use the bclock, Gear Ratios, and adjustments of the multiplier to levels lower than 43x. In my first run, I intended to see what kind of bclock tolerance the chip had. Eventually, I was able to push the bclock from 100 MHz to 107 MHz; a pretty decent bclock increase that allowed the chip to scale to 4.6 GHz." From OCC's recent review of the 3820..

Edited by comfynumb

i thought i read somewhere even though the new e5 xeons are sckt 2011 they are not support on the x79 platform and only intel server edition of it ( chipset 600 something). now i don't see why they don't add xeon support to the x79 or if it's already in the works.

i thought i read somewhere even though the new e5 xeons are sckt 2011 they are not support on the x79 platform and only intel server edition of it ( chipset 600 something). now i don't see why they don't add xeon support to the x79 or if it's already in the works.

Look up the asrock boards.... They all support the E5s...

CPU Compat.. List

Edited by comfynumb