just got some GSKILL RAM...

just got 2 of these sets of RAM (going to sell the remaining one DIMM I suppose since I used 3).

ran stock CPU clocks (everything worked, booted up) and then XMP profile which lead to 2133 on the RAM. (btw XMP profile plugged in 1.66v for the memory. isn't that a tad too much? should I get off the profile?)

no matter. what I am unsure of is how to OC my CPU again let's say to 3.6GHz maybe (more would get too warm for this scrawny cooler) and what kind of freq/timing should I be using for said RAM? is there a guide I can use as a jumping off point?

~thank you, community

I would use your settings that they installed with the xmp profile and input them manually. Write down all those measurements and then set the ram down below 1600. Get the chip overclocked to 3.60. Then move the memory to your desired frequency. You will have to fiddle with the chips memory controller voltage to get it stable though. Might need upwards of 1.50v but you may not need all that. Just bare in mind that you will produce alt more heat with the dpi link, uncore, the cpu vtt and qpi voltage set higher

just got 2 of these sets of RAM (going to sell the remaining one DIMM I suppose since I used 3).

ran stock CPU clocks (everything worked, booted up) and then XMP profile which lead to 2133 on the RAM. (btw XMP profile plugged in 1.66v for the memory. isn't that a tad too much? should I get off the profile?)

no matter. what I am unsure of is how to OC my CPU again let's say to 3.6GHz maybe (more would get too warm for this scrawny cooler) and what kind of freq/timing should I be using for said RAM? is there a guide I can use as a jumping off point?

~thank you, community

Looks like the ram that you linked is spec'ed to run at 2133 - 9,11,10,28 @ 1.65v (depending on mb the xmp profile might have a variance of 0.01v wouldnt be out of the norm). So the xmp profile appears to be working correctly...

as far as OC'ing, depending on what CPU/MB you have you might want to turn the xmp profile off and like others had mentioned to OC.

To be more specific like Stonerboy779 said, we need more info...

all my setup (except the new RAM) is in my sig. i7 920, ASUS P6X58D mobo.

here's the thing. the XMP profile is working fine at stock CPU speeds. entering the timings manually did cross my mind of course, but looking at the timings in BIOS (to enter manually) I can't see numbers higher then 10 (yes I did scroll down). (say i want 9-11-10). am I missing something?

trying to raise the BCLCK even a little and it don't even POST. it is doing my head in.

I and a lot of people do not like the mentioning of look at my Sig or its in my Sig. This is because I like many others access this forum from phones and so on.

I certainly use it more regularly from my phone or ipod than I do my laptop or desktop.

Listen to what boinker said about underclocking ram first.

Once you get a stable CPU OC you can start upping the RAM fequency while also tightening its timings.

If you could bring the timing to 9-9-9 or 8-8-8 it would be sweet I personally would try for 1800MHz at cas 7 timing and 1.6v

all my setup (except the new RAM) is in my sig. i7 920, ASUS P6X58D mobo.

here's the thing. the XMP profile is working fine at stock CPU speeds. entering the timings manually did cross my mind of course, but looking at the timings in BIOS (to enter manually) I can't see numbers higher then 10 (yes I did scroll down). (say i want 9-11-10). am I missing something?

trying to raise the BCLCK even a little and it don't even POST. it is doing my head in.

On the 920 when your raising the base clock your also oc'ing the memory which is already pushed if you have the xmp profile turned on.. you will have to mange the memory manually. I usually set the memory multiplier to the minimum value and timing on auto untill you get to where I want on the cpu oc.. then start upping the memory (or tighting the timings..)

I usually set the memory multiplier to the minimum value and timing on auto untill you get to where I want on the cpu oc.. then start upping the memory (or tighting the timings..)

yes yes of course. I know I shouldn't OC it from 2133 on.

and sorry about the sig being my rig. I didn't think you were on a smartphone for some reason. sorry.

ive found on my 950 that the 1800mhz range with good timmings is the sweet spot. my cpu runs at 4.2 and the ram @ 1834 7-9-7-24 2t, much more after that and the return between mhz and timmings is not worth it. Ive tested my ram up to just over 2200mhz with a 9-11-10 timming and was loosing points in benchmarks because of the loose timmings.

Once you find a good speed that you like for the cpu you can play around with the multiplier, right now im at 23x183= 4.217 or i can drop to 21x201=4.221 which opens up different ram speeds then the 23 multiplier. the options are endles and are only limeted by how much time you want to spend on finding the sweet spot for your hardware.

ive found on my 950 that the 1800mhz range with good timmings is the sweet spot. my cpu runs at 4.2 and the ram @ 1834 7-9-7-24 2t, much more after that and the return between mhz and timmings is not worth it. Ive tested my ram up to just over 2200mhz with a 9-11-10 timming and was loosing points in benchmarks because of the loose timmings.

Once you find a good speed that you like for the cpu you can play around with the multiplier, right now im at 23x183= 4.217 or i can drop to 21x201=4.221 which opens up different ram speeds then the 23 multiplier. the options are endles and are only limeted by how much time you want to spend on finding the sweet spot for your hardware.

what do you use for benchmarking?

can use any of the following, these all stress the system in different ways. The best for a full system benchmark would be pcmark 7. Not a whole lot of people on occ have ran it but here is a link to the forum http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=184877&st=0

3dmark 11

intelburn test

occt

pcmark 7

super pi

y-cruncher