first time building, any suggestions?

Ravenguild

Hi! I'm a new member, but been watching these forums for a couple weeks. Recently decided to quit smoking, and my incentive is saving money for a new computer (and living longer I guess), and have been rigorously researching price ranges, build guides, etc.

I'm a gamer, and have a budget around $1200 (when the chunk of my taxes come back), and have already invested in a core i5 2500k processor, a xonar DG sound card, an Asus P8Z68-VLX motherboard and a 27" monitor I just picked up on sale from dell; all of these parts together totaling $514.52.

My goal is to have a machine that can tackle skyrim, bf3 and the other eye-candy games out right now at max settings 60 fps constant.

The card I was looking at getting was the msi twin frozr III 560ti 448 cores, due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews about it's power and overclockability, not to mention it's near silent. The other 448 core 560ti's seemed ok, but this one really jumped out to me as the best in the series.

Thinking about a coolermaster case (not sure which one yet) that has good value but space for my parts (and a possible cpu cooler upgrade from stock in the future), and good airflow. The power supply I have picked out right now is the SeaSonic X series X650 Gold (picked this because I want to know I can trust the psu im using, willing to pay extra just for that).

With all that said, is there anything I'm overlooking? Anything I'm doing wrong or should do differently? Any advice or feedback would be a good way to ease my mind that my investment isn't going to waste! :thumbsup:

Oh! and i haven't picked out ram yet either, was gonna go for the 8 gigs of ripjaw DDR3.

Just for a recap, these are the parts I have picked out but haven't purchased yet:

GPU---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127615&Tpk=gtx%20560%20ti%20msi%20448 -$300

PSU---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-088&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo -$140

CASE---??? (haven't decided yet, any suggestions?)

RAM---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426 -$42

Hi! I'm a new member, but been watching these forums for a couple weeks. Recently decided to quit smoking, and my incentive is saving money for a new computer (and living longer I guess), and have been rigorously researching price ranges, build guides, etc.

I'm a gamer, and have a budget around $1200 (when the chunk of my taxes come back), and have already invested in a core i5 2500k processor, a xonar DG sound card, an Asus P8Z68-VLX motherboard and a 27" monitor I just picked up on sale from dell; all of these parts together totaling $514.52.

My goal is to have a machine that can tackle skyrim, bf3 and the other eye-candy games out right now at max settings 60 fps constant.

The card I was looking at getting was the msi twin frozr III 560ti 448 cores, due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews about it's power and overclockability, not to mention it's near silent. The other 448 core 560ti's seemed ok, but this one really jumped out to me as the best in the series.

Thinking about a coolermaster case (not sure which one yet) that has good value but space for my parts (and a possible cpu cooler upgrade from stock in the future), and good airflow. The power supply I have picked out right now is the SeaSonic X series X650 Gold (picked this because I want to know I can trust the psu im using, willing to pay extra just for that).

With all that said, is there anything I'm overlooking? Anything I'm doing wrong or should do differently? Any advice or feedback would be a good way to ease my mind that my investment isn't going to waste! :thumbsup:

Oh! and i haven't picked out ram yet either, was gonna go for the 8 gigs of ripjaw DDR3.

Just for a recap, these are the parts I have picked out but haven't purchased yet:

GPU---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127615&Tpk=gtx%20560%20ti%20msi%20448 -$300

PSU---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-088&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo -$140

CASE---??? (haven't decided yet, any suggestions?)

RAM---http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231426 -$42

First, Welcome to OCC :cheers:

If you're thinking of Setting every game at MAX and playing them at 60+ Fps constantly, you'll have to grab a GTX580 or even the HD7970. The 580 starts at $450 while 7970 starts at $559 a piece.. Would kill your budget entirely.

I'd suggest that you wait for Kepler to come out (20ish March rumor says) as I think there would be major price drop by then. A single 580 would be able to handle almost all games at max and 60+fps (with exception of Metro2033) so if it could drop till maybe around $300, it'd be great.

The 560Ti 448 is a great card too and should be able to handle most games at max while maintaining 40-50+ fps but I'd suggest getting a 570 instead.

Nothing wrong with a 560Ti 448 but I've always said that the extra $50-60 for a 570 would be worth it. People say that the performance differences aren't major but a 560Ti 448 would need to be OCed like crazy to be able to match/surpass a stock 570. They'd not come close to a 570 when OCed and I can tell you that the 570 is a great overclocker. Ultimately it's your choice but unless you can't afford the $50, I'd suggest sticking with a 570.

PSU choice, couldn't agree more.

The HAF 932 Advanced is a great choice of case from CM. It's basically the same as HAF X but a bit smaller and only has 1 top exhaust. If you'd like to carry it around, choose the Storm Trooper.

RAM, I'd suggest you get a DDR3 1600.

This Corsair Vengance LP White cost a bit more but comes with a lower volt (1.35) so it's a great choice of RAM as well.

Also, Do you plan on OCing the 2500K? I think you would or else you wouldn't be getting one. Have you bought an aftermarket cooler to go with it?

Here's some great coolers:

CM Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99 Great cooler for the price and would handle up to 4.8GHz with no problem.

NZXT Havik 140 - $59.99 Almost as good as the NH-D14 but with a smaller size, letting for RAM clearance.

Noctua NH-D14 - $81.99 The King of Tower coolers. The best cooler to date with unmatched silence.

:cheers:

First, Welcome to OCC :cheers:

If you're thinking of Setting every game at MAX and playing them at 60+ Fps constantly, you'll have to grab a GTX580 or even the HD7970. The 580 starts at $450 while 7970 starts at $559 a piece.. Would kill your budget entirely.

I'd suggest that you wait for Kepler to come out (20ish March rumor says) as I think there would be major price drop by then. A single 580 would be able to handle almost all games at max and 60+fps (with exception of Metro2033) so if it could drop till maybe around $300, it'd be great.

The 560Ti 448 is a great card too and should be able to handle most games at max while maintaining 40-50+ fps but I'd suggest getting a 570 instead.

Nothing wrong with a 560Ti 448 but I've always said that the extra $50-60 for a 570 would be worth it. People say that the performance differences aren't major but a 560Ti 448 would need to be OCed like crazy to be able to match/surpass a stock 570. They'd not come close to a 570 when OCed and I can tell you that the 570 is a great overclocker. Ultimately it's your choice but unless you can't afford the $50, I'd suggest sticking with a 570.

PSU choice, couldn't agree more.

The HAF 932 Advanced is a great choice of case from CM. It's basically the same as HAF X but a bit smaller and only has 1 top exhaust. If you'd like to carry it around, choose the Storm Trooper.

RAM, I'd suggest you get a DDR3 1600.

This Corsair Vengance LP White cost a bit more but comes with a lower volt (1.35) so it's a great choice of RAM as well.

Also, Do you plan on OCing the 2500K? I think you would or else you wouldn't be getting one. Have you bought an aftermarket cooler to go with it?

Here's some great coolers:

CM Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99 Great cooler for the price and would handle up to 4.8GHz with no problem.

NZXT Havik 140 - $59.99 Almost as good as the NH-D14 but with a smaller size, letting for RAM clearance.

Noctua NH-D14 - $81.99 The King of Tower coolers. The best cooler to date with unmatched silence.

:cheers:

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I heard about the 600's coming out, but didnt think they would lower the price very far on the 500's... if the 580 went down to $300 that would be amazing! probably will wait a couple weeks to pick out the gpu then... dont wanna jump the gun.

i do plan on overclocking once i get everything in working order. Thanks for the links! :thumbsup:

I do plan on carrying it around, but is the storm trooper big enough to fit the 570 or 580 AND a cpu cooler?

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I heard about the 600's coming out, but didnt think they would lower the price very far on the 500's... if the 580 went down to $300 that would be amazing! probably will wait a couple weeks to pick out the gpu then... dont wanna jump the gun.

i do plan on overclocking once i get everything in working order. Thanks for the links! :thumbsup:

I do plan on carrying it around, but is the storm trooper big enough to fit the 570 or 580 AND a cpu cooler?

According to The tech source's youtube channel and various other leaks, the GTX 660 (non ti) will come it at about 300 bucks and be about the same performance (or more) than the GTX 580. I don't know how the release date will work, but keep that in mind.

Also, your dream of keeping 60 FPS constantly is a bad one. As long as the minimum FPS does not drop below 30 FPS then you will be getting a very good system.

For the moment, what I would do is be prepared to buy some used GTX 560 ti's off of ebay and SLI them for some awesome performance. :thumbsup:

According to The tech source's youtube channel and various other leaks, the GTX 660 (non ti) will come it at about 300 bucks and be about the same performance (or more) than the GTX 580. I don't know how the release date will work, but keep that in mind.

Also, your dream of keeping 60 FPS constantly is a bad one. As long as the minimum FPS does not drop below 30 FPS then you will be getting a very good system.

For the moment, what I would do is be prepared to buy some used GTX 560 ti's off of ebay and SLI them for some awesome performance. :thumbsup:

I don't think my motherboard is SLI compatible, but it does say crossfire compatible.

Would it be reasonable to crossfire 2 radeon HD 6950's? The prices are pretty close to the 560 ti's, but I haven't heard as much boasting about AMD cards

Edited by Ravenguild

Running a SLI hack is really easy. One installation file, and picking the OS with the SLI hack when loading Windows, that's it.

sorry im such a n00b, but will the PSU i have picked out be enough to power SLI? is there somewhere in particular I can read about the SLI hack?

sorry im such a n00b, but will the PSU i have picked out be enough to power SLI? is there somewhere in particular I can read about the SLI hack?

Yeah, that's fine, but a 750W or 850W are usually safer bets, and can be found for around the same price or even cheaper with just as good quality if you wait for deals.

Info on SLI hack: http://www.overclock.net/t/670810/howto-sli-on-a-non-sli-motherboard-gtx5xx-compatible-1-0-final-released