I'm sure we've all wanted to do this at some point

DexRain

So I know most people here have been, "That friend that knows about computers." at some point in time, and as TFTKAC, we see a LOT of people that are, well, just plain stupid about computers.

So you know those times when you get that old P4 trying to run windows 7 they got from a relative or some guy they know at work with a 10 year old IDE drive and 128mb of ram that's so full of viruses it won't even post, haven't you always wanted to just smash it and tell them to get a new one?

Well I work in scrap metal processing, and since monday I've been breaking down the 6 or 7 pallets of old computers we got in awhile ago, mountains of old P2 and P3 slot procs along with a ton of P4's that look to have come from a school, most of the outdated pre-builts are taken apart with a screw gun, and a hammer, pretty awesome.

There were some gems hidden in the crap pile as well, I'll probably be starting a build log on the K7 frankenbox build, so far I have an Asus K7V8X-LA, an Athlon XP 2500+, an Athlon XP 2400+, an Athlon XP 2800+, an old Quadro 4, a GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP, 2 gb's of Infineon DDR-400, and old Antec Case, an Antec 350w PSU, and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2, looking like a fun little old school box right now, along with an S939 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ for my brothers computer and a GeForce 4600TI for my parents computer.

I think the newest comp I've seen in that pile was a Celeron D or the Athlon X2 I got, there were a few relics from there late 80's and a few monster gaming rigs from the P2 / P3 era in there though.

So this week at work has been a fun one so far and will most likely continue to be awesome, and if anyone near the metro detroit area needs some vintage parts, hit me up haha

No I have never wanted to smash one, I know money doesnt grow on trees for me.. I have gotten a little aggravated with some but I dont let it get to me and fix the thing. Smashing stuff will get you no where, still trying to spot the gems in your post also, I dont see any listed...

I still got my ZX81 and ZX Spectrum.

Oh and for all you young uns with your 3GHz processors, 16Gig of ram and $300 graphics cards, the ZX81 used a Z80 CPU running at 3.25MHz, 1K of RAM (16K Rampack was extra) and an amazing black and white 21X32 screen. Great way to learn ZX80 assembly and memory management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Spectrum

Edited by clownshoes

I got an IBM 75Mhz proc 2 pent mmx and an amd equivalent all on my desk at work lol I salvaged them from some old comps my mom bought for $25 at a church auction. The IBM was pulled from my moms first comp and upgraded with a 100 or so Mhz pent mmx proc after my mom gave it to my aunt and I got started tinkering with computers :P

My girlfriend was the one.. Has 152MB RAM DIMM, and then some off-sized POS I think it's like 38MB.. A 14GB IDE Hard Drive, etc..

I worked with her, did my best to speed it up..

And eventually built her a new, cheap one.

Took the old one and decided to deconstruct it.. Less constructively... AKA Golf with a softball bat, while the dog chased the metal parts flying around the yard..

Very satisfying family activity right there.

• 2 weeks later...