Current SNB Build

Laststop

This is ALWAYS the case with computers.

Yes waco, maybe if we were talking about a year, or even 6 months it might be one thing. However, Ivy bridge is supposed to come out late march-early April and Kepler is supposedly coming out in Q2 of 2012.

I could see waiting for kepler to be an annoying hassle, but ivy bridge? I would say just put the build on hold and stock up more cash.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always look to buy the cheapest I can. Saving money on some components can give you better upgrades on others.

There's plenty of great cases, especially mid-towers that handle watercooling very well at around the under $70 range. The Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 I got for $67.99 with free shipping after a promo code. That just saves you $142 right there.

If you live close to a Microcenter, the i5 2500K and motherboard combo is an additional $50 off, and the i5 2500K alone costs $179.99 (sometimes going as low as $149.99). You can get the i5 2500K alone for $199.99 from NCIX right now. Otherwise, look at combo deals at Newegg.

Motherboard, I personally go with ASUS, then Gigabyte, then any other motherboards.

PSU is a good choice (at the least 750W's for upgradeability for multiple graphics cards in the future), but if you wait, you can find promo codes for certain brands of PSU's up to 25% off at Newegg. I just got an AX1200 for $217.99 after MIR, and had a 750W Rosewill CAPSTONE 80 Plus Gold certified PSU for $84.99, and that's with free shipping and no MIR involved. That saves you $75 if you're patient enough, and 750W's will more than handle two overclocked GTX 570's in SLI.

CPU Cooler is a personal choice, but you can also get it at NCIX for $99.99. Saves you $20.

Hard Drives, save some money here and get a single 2TB Hitachi Desktar 7K3000 drives for $109.99 at NCIX. Wait for another sale to get a 2nd for RAID 1. That will save you another $180 (though 1TB less space than you're looking for).

You can also save some money on SSD's, reliability is key, not sequential read/write or IOPS speeds unless your brother is using them for photo/video/database work. I bought a 120GB SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 for $124.99 a month and a half ago. You can find similar prices on Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD's as well (though usually after MIR's).

For memory, get the SAMSUNG 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Extreme Low Voltage MV-3V4G3D/US for $39.99 when it goes on sale, or just buy them instead for $47.99. Incredible price/performance.

I agree with El_Capitan on his comment about SSDs. However, if I were in the market for a SF SSD, I would pay a little more and get the synchronous NAND SSDs rather than the cheaper asynchronous NAND ones.

The memory kit that El_Capitan suggested was an excellent deal at $39.99 for its performance.

Well 2x 7.2k 2TB hitachi drives should be here within 10 days. One ordered to his house and one to my parents.

He is going to wait for ivy bridge and get a z78 mobo and IVB.

I told him might as well wait like I am and you can look for good sales on other stuff while waiting and save more money.

It's actually kinda funny, I'm building a mini-itx IVB + 7990 and hes going the exact opposite full size xl-atx supporting tower with IVB + kepler. I swear he picks the opposite of me just for that very reason. I hope the bitfenix prodigy mini-itx case comes out in time. That case is freakin hardcore for it's size

Edited by Laststop

Well 2x 7.2k 2TB hitachi drives should be here within 10 days. One ordered to his house and one to my parents.

He is going to wait for ivy bridge and get a z78 mobo and IVB.

I told him might as well wait like I am and you can look for good sales on other stuff while waiting and save more money.

It's actually kinda funny, I'm building a mini-itx IVB + 7990 and hes going the exact opposite full size xl-atx supporting tower with IVB + kepler. I swear he picks the opposite of me just for that very reason. I hope the bitfenix prodigy mini-itx case comes out in time. That case is freakin hardcore for it's size

Your advice is good, because he will be able to hunt for better prices while he waits for the new tech in the meantime.

:lol: If he wanted to get the exact opposite of what you are getting then he should have went with Virgo instead of IB. And what is a Z78 mobo? Do you mean Z77 or Z68?

PS: IB has been delayed once again.

PS: IB has been delayed once again.

CMIIW but I thought the delay was only for 'mass shipments', meaning for those notebooks and PC OEMs.. And small shipments would still be made too.

If all of the lines are indeed infected, guess it's time to look at AMD for my next HTPC build..

My opinion on this is I think they delayed it for a few reasons.

- They wanted to move the remaining Sandy Bridge chips due to poor sales because of the floods in thailand and the HDD situation and the bad economy in general.

- Bulldozer was such a piece of crap intel could afford to delay it and still be able to sell their SNB at full price. And the SNB chips still have a healthy performance lead so no pressure for intel to release IVB and drive down the price on the remaining SNB stock

- Since theres no pressure for intel to release IVB they may of delayed the release to refine the process and help get better yields. Bulldozer's flop allows them to take a few months to adjust the mass production process and squeeze out a few more percentage points on the yield.

Honestly the entire intel company could completely shut down for an entire year. Do absolutely no research no anything at all and they would still have a better chip than amd.

Actually it's angel's fault. He said no big deal to wait for IVB than it gets delayed. He jinxed it. Thanks man you screwed us over!

And vandread those new trinity apu's from AMD I have a good feeling those are gonna be really awesome chips for low power high video + graphic applications like an HTPC or a semi decent gaming ultrabook portable or mid size thin and light gaming machine.

Edited by Laststop

Actually it's angel's fault. He said no big deal to wait for IVB than it gets delayed. He jinxed it. Thanks man you screwed us over!

LOL.. I thought you were referring to 'Angel' up there :lol:

And vandread those new trinity apu's from AMD I have a good feeling those are gonna be really awesome chips for low power high video + graphic applications like an HTPC or a semi decent gaming ultrabook portable or mid size thin and light gaming machine.

Yeah I was seriously considering AMD's Trinity APUs but was waiting to see if Intel could offer a better, more power efficient product instead.. And I was thinking of getting a Radeon card for Hybird crossfire but had the thought of 'maybe Intel could've released a cheap i3 and let me get a dedicated card instead'. Guess more waiting (and saving) must be done.

So was just checking out craigslist deals and found a corsair 650d mid tower on sale for 110 dollars. So I offered him 75 figuring I wouldn't get it but he said ok.

My brother was set on the haf-x and did want a full tower but i see the 650d has a pre spaced top area for a dual rad where the h100 would fit perfect. Would this mid tower be ok for sli flagship keplers? For 75 bucks thats 125 dollars saved vs the haf-x. I cant see the haf-x being 125 dollars better than the 650d. I'm pretty sure he'd rather save the 125 dollars but just wanna be sure it's gonna move enough air to cool 2 kepler flagships in sli before i tell him to buy this today. The cpu heat will go right out the top and psu will vent right out back so only the gpu heat and hard drive heat chipset and mobo heatsinks will get vented into case.

Edit: Driving to get the corsair 650d now. Got him down to 70 to help pay the gas to drive out there. 650d for 70 to good a deal to pass up even though it's not the exact case he wanted.

Edited by Laststop

Got the Corsair Obsidian 650d for 70 bucks and check this the seller was like some 14 year old kid home alone at his house when me and my bro come there. Luckily for him we weren't crazy pedofiles with weird fetishes or we weren't A hole thieves and just took the tower and said F you no money bye.

It would be really really funny if the tower was like someone elses in the house and he just sold it without them knowing and pocketed the money. Something just seemed shady about the deal but I'm not complaining I got a mint condition Obsidian 650d for 70 bucks.

Will post picture later.

Oh yea it came the adapter to convert the pass through usb 3.0 leads to mobo i/o connector as well it was already connected inside the case. Score even more!

post-83798-0-00768600-1329917535_thumb.jpg

The 650d is almost like a mid/full size it's definitely bigger than your average mid tower.

Edited by Laststop

Got the Corsair Obsidian 650d for 70 bucks and check this the seller was like some 14 year old kid home alone at his house when me and my bro come there. Luckily for him we weren't crazy pedofiles with weird fetishes or we weren't A hole thieves and just took the tower and said F you no money bye.

It would be really really funny if the tower was like someone elses in the house and he just sold it without them knowing and pocketed the money. Something just seemed shady about the deal but I'm not complaining I got a mint condition Obsidian 650d for 70 bucks.

Will post picture later.

Oh yea it came the adapter to convert the pass through usb 3.0 leads to mobo i/o connector as well it was already connected inside the case. Score even more!

post-83798-0-00768600-1329917535_thumb.jpg

The 650d is almost like a mid/full size it's definitely bigger than your average mid tower.

Yeup, and it is a really good water cooling case too. :thumbsup: