Kitting myself out with Koolance. First timer

ghostcorps

One year later:

Just completed the first clean of the system.

There was a little bit of algae in the res but when I opened the blocks there were no deposits at all :) That's with only distilled water and a silver coil after a year!

I ran some clean water with about a cup of concentrated peroxide for a day to scrub away any life forms. Otherwise it has been solid as a rock.

On a side note, draining is a pain!

Edited by boinker
language, yes i know its 2 years old

• 1 year later...
Hello again, Long time no chat.

It's time to upgrade :D

I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing now but I have a question regarding a bit of Frankenstein'ing.

Question 1, I have the Koolance CPU-370 block for my 3930K which is an LGA2011 chipset. I am looking to upgrade the cpu to a 4760k which is an LGA1150. This chipset will fit an LGA2011v3 board but I am not sure if the waterblock will also be compatible. Do I have anything to worry about?

Question 2, I have the Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Full Coverage Waterblock for my ASUS Sabertooth X79. As I am upgrading My CPU I need to upgrade this motherboard, it is LGA2011, not LGA2011v3. As LGA2011 has more bandwidth I would prefer to use it but the biggest reason I want to use this chipset is that I have found the ASUS X99 Deluxe, which looks remarkably similar to the Sabertooth X79. Even if I can not fit the Sabertooth waterblocks onto it, the layout means I will not have to refit all the plumbing. Plus it is a kick ass board.

The layouts are below, the only thing I can see different is that the PCI Chipset heatsink has an extra heatsink running next to the CPU mount, but if my experience with the Sabertooth is anything to go by: that heatsink is likely just a block of anodized aluminium pressing, raw, against the capacitors. I doubt it is doing much.

What are my chances of pulling off this trick?

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested I will try to log my upgrade here.

New Parts:

CPU: i5930K

RAM: 16G Venegance DDR4 2666Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe

GPU: Nvidia GTX980

I have all but the parts except new GPU waterblock, once that arrives I will be able to get to work.

After a closer look at the X99 Deluxe motherboard and I am confident that the VRM will fit the waterblock from my X79 Sabertooth. When looking at the comparison gif I made (It's poor work I know) it seems like the VRM has moved a little but uses the same configuration. The chipset is not even close.

We will find out soon enough :)

post-83502-0-19754800-1411791546_thumb.gif

Edited by ghostcorps

Will do :)  but I have so many pics in this thread I need to remove some to add more! Oops

Not much to see yet. It is still just a pile of pretty boxes.

Also, while I am here. I noticed a while ago, that the thermostat probe had dissolved and left black shit inside the blocks. I got rid of the probe and spent a while cleaning most of it out but is there an easy way to get the last of it?

Edited by ghostcorps

I still have a lot to do before I can close it up and am too tired to do a long post just yet but I wanted to say that the VRM block from the X79 is very close but without 5mm riser plate it won't fit. No huge surprises there, except maybe that every other dimension was perfect.

You will see what I mean in the pics later.