Cooling A Dell Desktop

gebraset

Hey guys, got a few questions regarding some cooling. The Standard two fans in this case just doesn't do justice to the system while folding. My system specs are in my signature if there are any questions regarding those.

Currently I am looking at a cooler for the chipset, believe it's a NB? Anyhow it came with no cooler on it, which I found weird for a system, though I'm sure they wanted to save money.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/dscn0598m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/dscn0599fs.jpg/

I see a few links on Newegg for chipset cooler that are around $15, though I was wondering if there are any cheaper and if you guys could help me find one that will for sure fit? Also, I want to get some new TIM for the processor and I usually use Arctic Silver 5, but I know better ones out there exist. What are your recommendations for a good price?

Edited by gebraset

hey there, not sure about the chipset cooler. it has mounting holes through the mobo, so it certainly looks like it should have one. ive never seen a southbridge (im pretty sure sb has northbridge on die) without at least a heatsink, some high end ones also have fans.

you probably wont find anything for less than 15 unless you wanna try getting a gpu ramsink and using thermal glue to glue it on to the southbridge.

i used to use arctic silver 5 but it is slightly capacitive. so now i use arctic cooling mx4

I would check out these and see if they work. They say video card but they should work on a motherboard chipset. http://www.svc.com/chipset-cooler.html

And for thermal paste try OCZ Freeze it works just as good as Arctic Silver 5 its not conductive and you dont have to thermal cycle it to get optimum cooling.

Edited by slick2500

Well, found some old lapping stuff around the house. Hit the CPU cooler with 400 and then 800. Ran out of anything higher a while back, but it shined it up decently. It was bad as it was, so even 800 helped, lol. Also found some AS5 laying around so I used a bit of that instead of spending more money. As of right now, and I know there is a set in period, I'm looking at 3-7C less at idle. So not too bad, I think I'm just going to keep trying for this chipset cooler.

slick, I have been to that website before and I believe that the Zalman may work. Though I have no idea if my chipset holes on the motherboard will match. :wacko:

Edited by gebraset

Just wondering, but does the Newegg return policy, or SVC, allow for me to return the item for a full refund if it doesn't work with my system? I know Newegg is good with returns, but I don't want to order something then just throw it away if it cannot e returned, lol.

And d6bmg, would a 40mm fan (with cooler) fit into the mounting holes on the motherboard? I don't want a fan just laying in there loosely.

And d6bmg, would a 40mm fan (with cooler) fit into the mounting holes on the motherboard? I don't want a fan just laying in there loosely.

As the board about which we are discussing here is a OEM board, I'm not sure about that part.

Yeah, that is something that I was afraid of, lol. I'm going to call SVC today and see if I can get a hold of someone about that Zalman cooler. It's cheap, and it seems to be able to be repositioned quite a bit, so I'm going to try and see when they are getting it back in stock.

I'll let you know guys, thanks! :)

I would, but I have no device such as that. I do have a tape measure, but made for construction, not small increments like I need. I can convert it yes, but it is still off a bit no matter what. That's why I think the Zalman on SVC will work the best, since you can adjust it to any size, but we will see if they have it in stock soon. I plan to call tomorrow since yesterday was a national holiday and today was hectic, lol.