Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review -

I agree. There are increasingly fewer reasons why anyone would need more than a quad core CPU. Only in those few instances such as waco mentioned encryption and compression along with video editing, does the 8150 shine. Aside from that, SB, SB-E has it beat hands down. I know after saying this though, Computer Ed and Dr. Death will swoop in and cause trouble, and for that I apologize.

I agree, but if ya have the $ blow the competition away! He who dies with the most toys and best toys wins!

AIDA64 Benchmarks! Windows 7 FX patch preview!

ROUND 9: AIDA64

A64theme_logo.jpg

Does FX stand a chance?

RESULTS:

CPU AES :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

CPU-AES.png

CPU HASH :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

CPU-hash.png

CPU PHOTOWORX :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

CPU-photoworx.png

CPU QUEEN :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER:

CPU-queen.png

CPU ZLIB :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

CPU-Zlib.png

FPU JULIA :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

FPU-julia2.png

FPU SINJULIA :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

FPU-Sinjulia.png

FPU VP8 :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

FPU-vp8.png

FPU MANDEL :

BEFORE - view @ blog

AFTER

FPU-mandel.png

SUMMARY OF RESULTS (Patch vs. No-Patch)

CPU Tests -

AES : +7.3% performance

Hash : +0.2% performance

Photoworx : +3.3% performance

Queen : +0.1% performance

ZLib : +0.1% performance

FPU Tests -

Julia : +0.3% performance

SinJulia : +0.0% performance

VP8 : +1.4% performance

Mandel : +0.3% performance

We can see here that the patch gives a decent boost in performance with AIDA64 across the board with none of the benchmarks showing worse performance than with pre-patched Windows 7. Overall FX fairs fairly well, but the only benchmark where it pulls ahead of all the other CPUs is in CPU Hash. The AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 ghz manages a top 2 spot when compared to the other CPUs in 4/8 tests and a top 3 spot in 5/8 tests. Naturally the 3960x @ 3.8 ghz Turbo manages to beat FX in most tests, but not nearly as singificantly as one would expect.

TechArp H.264 Benchmarks! **Updated with Windows 7 Patch**

Round 1 Revisited!

CPU: AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 Ghz

With Patch vs. Without Patch

RESULTS:

First Pass - Single Core Performance!

h264-PASS1.png

Single core Performance increases by +2.3% with both Windows 7 Patches installed. This isn't grossly significant, but still welcome! At 4.8 Ghz the AMD FX 8150 manages to beat an i7-875k @ 4.0 Ghz by about +4%.

Second Pass - Multi-Core Performance!

h264-PASS2.png

When all cores are active, the windows 7 patch actually manages to bring improvement of +2.4%. This pushes the performance of the AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 Ghz above the i5 2500k @ 5.0 Ghz by a whopping +21% and below that of an i7 2600k @ 5.0 Ghz by only -1%.

So far these patches look like a welcome boost in performance!

Memory Benchmarks!! With Updated WEI!

logo.jpg

AMD FX 8150 Memory Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 Ghz

Ram: 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17600 2200MHz RipjawsX CL7 (Running @ 2183 Mhz)

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V 990FX

RESULTS:

MaxxMEM

MaxxMem.png

By Request!

AIDA64 - Write

AIDMemory-Write.png

AIDA64 - Read

AIDMemory-Read.png

AIDA64 - Latency

AIDMemory-Latency.png

AIDA64 - Copy

AIDMemory-Copy.png

As we can see, my Gskill Ram does pretty well overall in a 990FX board. Only Write scores benefit greatly from triple, or quad channel memory, and this is shown through the above comparisons. It should be noted that my ram's performance was maximized setting CL to 10, and decreasing the response time from 300ms to 110ms. This change of setting also manages to squeeze out the 7.9 memory rating in WEI! (I had 7.8 with Cl7 / 300ms)

Updated WEI

WEI.png

7.9 CPU only accomplished with 2600k/2700k @ ~5.7+ ghz, or dual/quad socket Xeon / Opteron systems.

The AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 ghz manages a top 2 spot when compared to the other CPUs in 4/8 tests and a top 3 spot in 5/8 tests. Naturally the 3960x @ 3.8 ghz Turbo manages to beat FX in most tests, but not nearly as singificantly as one would expect.

I almost feel bad laughing about this one...but has it really gotten so bad that it's "natural" for a 6 core CPU from Intel to beat the snot out of an "8 core" AMD CPU...at a 1 GHz clock speed deficiency? :lol:

I almost feel bad laughing about this one...but has it really gotten so bad that it's "natural" for a 6 core CPU from Intel to beat the snot out of an "8 core" AMD CPU...at a 1 GHz clock speed deficiency? :lol:

remember its a 4 Core 8 thread CPU vs a 6 core 12 thread CPU.. Even windows recognizes this now with the patch.

remember its a 4 Core 8 thread CPU vs a 6 core 12 thread CPU.. Even windows recognizes this now with the patch.

Not according to AMD it's not (especially since it is actually an 8 core CPU for integer and 128 bit floating point operations...which is every benchmark you've shown so far). :)

I will say it again. Plugging your benchmarks into someone elses data base is very unaccurate and a waste of time. To accurately get proper benchies, you need to have same hardware and CPU( switch COU and motherboard). Run memory at same frequency and timings and CPU's at same core speed. The windows experience is a laughing joke too.

Edited by Drdeath

I will say it again. Plugging your benchmarks into someone elses data base is very unaccurate and a waste of time. To accurately get proper benchies, you need to have same hardware and CPU( switch COU and motherboard). Run memory at same frequency and timings and CPU's at same core speed. The windows experience is a laughing joke too.

True, but I'll take it one step further. Using the same memory, you'll end up with different frequency and timings. I know this is true from swapping out the same memory from a LGA 1366 (i7 920/i7 930/i7 950), LGA 1155 (i5 2500k/i7 2600K/i7 2700k), and AM3 (1090T).

True, but I'll take it one step further. Using the same memory, you'll end up with different frequency and timings. I know this is true from swapping out the same memory from a LGA 1366 (i7 920/i7 930/i7 950), LGA 1155 (i5 2500k/i7 2600K/i7 2700k), and AM3 (1090T).

Neg, run em all at 1600MHz.

Neg, run em all at 1600MHz.

You can do one review of them at matched frequencies, but another is definitely needed with maxed overclocks (to a degree). For instance, Sandy Bridge systems you really won't get to overclock the frequencies all too much, and getting 1600MHz memory to the next speed bump at 1866MHz is a rarity (Corsair Vengeance can do it at looser timings). On a 1055T or 1090T, you can maximize your frequency overclock. On the i7 950, you can get higher stable CPU overclocks with lower frequencies by using higher multi's over the i7 920/930/940's, but that allows for tighter timings.

You can do one review of them at matched frequencies, but another is definitely needed with maxed overclocks (to a degree). For instance, Sandy Bridge systems you really won't get to overclock the frequencies all too much, and getting 1600MHz memory to the next speed bump at 1866MHz is a rarity (Corsair Vengeance can do it at looser timings). On a 1055T or 1090T, you can maximize your frequency overclock. On the i7 950, you can get higher stable CPU overclocks with lower frequencies by using higher multi's over the i7 920/930/940's, but that allows for tighter timings.

Comparing them core for core is best. If you pull 4.6GHz on each the rest is worthless. Both overclock very close. I feel more is not needed. I hava 3930K coming soon so I can pull 2500K,2600K FX-8150 and 3930K on Benchies. nake a list(not too big) of benchnmarks ad i will pull it off.

Stock

4GHz

4.6Ghz

All at 1600MHZ 9-9-9-1T

2 x Radeon 6970's

All these nonsense graphs are worthless they are all over the board. An Excel spread sheet will do.

I will start the 2600K tonite

Edited by Drdeath

Comparing them core for core is best. If you pull 4.6GHz on each the rest is worthless. Both overclock very close. I feel more is not needed. I hava 3930K coming soon so I can pull 2500K,2600K FX-8150 and 3930K on Benchies. nake a list(not too big) of benchnmarks ad i will pull it off.

Stock

4GHz

4.6Ghz

All at 1600MHZ 9-9-9-1T

2 x Radeon 6970's

All these nonsense graphs are worthless they are all over the board. An Excel spread sheet will do.

I will start the 2600K tonite

You say theyre nonsense graphs, but i am simply testing my rig and comparing to what reviewers got. Whats wrong with that? I already stated that drivers could be different. And ram differences could make the difference but i doubt it : / . Ram speeds will not affect benchmark scores by more than 5% , unless they are directly related to memory read/write/copy speeds such as in Maxx Mem scores.

Edited by polyzp