Cable Modems

InCrYsIs

I am having an issue with my cable modem going offline. It is an older DOCSIS 2.0 modem. The tech said it is probably going bad. That is fine. I ordered a new Motorola 3.0 today. My question is, he said the 2.0 is probably restricting my speed. My "faulty" 2.0 was giving me what I pay for or there about. He said his 3.0 modem gives him speeds above what he pays for. Sometimes my 2.0 will go to around 27mb which is 7mb more than I pay for. I was just wondering if there was any validity to what he says.

Maybe is the best answer I can give. The new modem may be capable of higher speeds than the old one, so if the higher speed is available, you should then get it. In my house we're getting speeds on the order of the most expensive plan, while we're actually on the cheapest or second cheapest. This is more by luck than by hardware.

Just thought of an analogy that may work. The old modem is a car with a top speed of say, 60-65 mph, so you're able to meet the speed limit, but not surpass it. The new modem could be like a car with a top speed of, let's say, 88 mph. When there is other traffic on the highway, that extra speed doesn't help; you need to stay at the speed limit. When there is no other traffic on the highway though, you can floor it and get that extra speed.

This is the reasoning behind the new modem being able to give a higher speed, but there is no guarantee it will do so. I'm lucky because there isn't much traffic around me, so my speeds are above our plan, but you may not be so lucky.

I hope that helps, and that I'm not completely wrong.

Maybe is the best answer I can give. The new modem may be capable of higher speeds than the old one, so if the higher speed is available, you should then get it. In my house we're getting speeds on the order of the most expensive plan, while we're actually on the cheapest or second cheapest. This is more by luck than by hardware.

Just thought of an analogy that may work. The old modem is a car with a top speed of say, 60-65 mph, so you're able to meet the speed limit, but not surpass it. The new modem could be like a car with a top speed of, let's say, 88 mph. When there is other traffic on the highway, that extra speed doesn't help; you need to stay at the speed limit. When there is no other traffic on the highway though, you can floor it and get that extra speed.

This is the reasoning behind the new modem being able to give a higher speed, but there is no guarantee it will do so. I'm lucky because there isn't much traffic around me, so my speeds are above our plan, but you may not be so lucky.

I hope that helps, and that I'm not completely wrong.

Great Scott! His new modem must be a DeLorean!

• 3 weeks later...

The newer Docsis 3.0 cable modems do two things differently than Docsis 2.0... 1) is channel bonding, where more than one connection to your ISP is "bonded" together, giving a combined throughput. 2) is a burst mode, which gives a short burst of speed, which can go higher than what you're paying for.

The Motorola 6121 modem can bond 4 downstream channels together. The newer Motorola 6180 modem can bond all 8 downstream channels together, offering speed that your ISP probably doesn't yet offer.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys...I`m looking for the best cable modem. As I know one of the best is Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem DOCSIS 2.0 and SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0. My question is, which one better for home internet (15-18 Mps)? tHANK YOU.

Hi guys...I`m looking for the best cable modem. As I know one of the best is Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem DOCSIS 2.0 and SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0. My question is, which one better for home internet (15-18 Mps)? tHANK YOU.

Start your own thread but docsis 3 for when you eventually get docsis 3 speeds however the best is what you can get of you isp for free. Also understand a faster modem wont mean faster speeds if you are just paying for 15-18 down.

Start your own thread but docsis 3 for when you eventually get docsis 3 speeds however the best is what you can get of you isp for free. Also understand a faster modem wont mean faster speeds if you are just paying for 15-18 down.

ISPs i've dealt with, or friends or family have dealt with, don't give free modems. They will rent one to you and charge you an extra ~$7 a month though. Maybe some do or they will if they have some special going but most I see rent one out so you're better off buying your own in the long run.

And i'd say a faster modem won't guarantee speeds higher than you pay for but it is possible. My old 2.0 I think capped out at about 20-22 MB. When I replaced it I now get 40MB+. Once I even hit 60MB on a speed test. I have the Motorola SBG6580 and pay for 25MB btw.

ISPs i've dealt with, or friends or family have dealt with, don't give free modems. They will rent one to you and charge you an extra ~$7 a month though. Maybe some do or they will if they have some special going but most I see rent one out so you're better off buying your own in the long run.

And i'd say a faster modem won't guarantee speeds higher than you pay for but it is possible. My old 2.0 I think capped out at about 20-22 MB. When I replaced it I now get 40MB+. Once I even hit 60MB on a speed test. I have the Motorola SBG6580 and pay for 25MB btw.

Well that sucks, we switched our plan last night.

We were in a locked in plan for two years (3 months still left on it technically) but I got dad to call up and change it.

We had a $99 plan that was the exact equivalent of the current $79 one an after a call, one very unhelpful and rude service rep we were with someone who was helping is stay as customers :lol:

In the end we have been moved to the current $109 supposed to $99 because the $99 has some terms around mobiles which doesn't work for us.

So from a locked contract we were able to go from 120Gb (18 down, 0.5 up) locked at 50 peak, 70 of peak but no charges only speed limiting of peak was passed. Now it's 500Gb no peak/off peak restriction and again only speed limiting if surpassed, it came with the same unlimited home phone plan and it also came with an eXtreme speed pack.

This speed pack is currently maxing out our modems cababilities. There is the potential with docsis 3.0 to push our speeds up to the 80 down range but currently it is 30 and 32 peaks down and 1 with 1.5 peaks up. We got verbal confirmation from two reps that we could enter the new contract with a new router sent out we shall see how that pans out tho.

One thing we are definately getting is a triple channel FullHD tuner with PVR functions recording to a 1Tb internal HDD as well as networking capabilities and pay-per-view movies available from online (no data metering on movie download either)........ Cost $35 + $15.50 in shipping.

An ISP customer service rep may treat an existing customer like dirt but the buy back team treats them like god :D