PSU's Overheat protection. What does it do exactly?

Hey guys, As the title says I would like to now what does this do exactly. I've beem having a few problems for a long time, and think this might be the culprit. Thanks!.

Edited by NuComer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a temperature sensor inside the power supply, usually connected to the heatsink were the switching transistors are mounted for the +12V rail, that shuts the power supply down when a set temperature is reached.

There is a temperature sensor inside the power supply, usually connected to the heatsink were the switching transistors are mounted for the +12V rail, that shuts the power supply down when a set temperature is reached.

So when the PSU shuts down...the entire computer goes with it, yeah?.

Edited by NuComer

Yes, but based on your signature, there's no way you're overheating your PSU.

I'm actually using an HD4870 instead of the 8800gt.

The thing is, if I underclock the 4870 to 700MHZ core /835Mhz mem I can use it no problem, if I use stock speeds I can play for like 2-8 mins and the my screen goes white and it gives me an 0x0000000116/117.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like you need to take a closer look at your video card. Clean it out or something...

Yeah, I did that already, replaced the TIM and even took the heatsink on the VRMs apart and was greeted with one of the weirdest things, it had like a tiny drop of some sort of liquid on the thermal pad, and the thermal pad was rather...hard instead of soft and mushy. Any ideas on the symptons of overheating VRMs?, the only thing I've been able to find is that it can in fact turn your video card off, which could explain my situation.

If they've hardened it's possible they should be replaced. Since it runs fine at slower speeds it certainly sounds like a heat issue. Can you point a fan at the card to see if it will run longer at stock speeds?

If they've hardened it's possible they should be replaced. Since it runs fine at slower speeds it certainly sounds like a heat issue. Can you point a fan at the card to see if it will run longer at stock speeds?

Ohh, I didn't know hardened meant they're bad, they might be then. About the fan, sure thing, I'll try that when I go home for lunch in about 3 hours and let you know. Thank you again!.

Hey, sorry for the late answer. Tried the fan and it worked great on stock clocks!, now I have another question, how would I know if its the video card overheating or the PSU?