NVIDIA 285.62 driver unstable?

Miek

If your graphics card is factory overclocked for Memory, or if you're overclocking your Memory, then it could cause instability with the latest drivers. I noticed this on my Test Review.

This explains a lot, many people are blaming hardware acceleration in Firefox but I had my drivers crash halfway through a reboot while initializing Win 7 Service Pack 1 on a fresh OS install so hardly FF causing that. Fortunately I always make a backup before installing large updates so I avoided any possible corruption by reinstalling the image.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noted my first crash with 285.62(installed 2++ weeks ago) this morning just after boot up. :ouch:

seems much stable than my 2 previous versions with much more random crashes noted.

MSI GTX560-Ti OC @ stock speeds

• 4 weeks later...

My MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC(stock clocks) is also randomly crashing without recovery(black screen with strange noise from speakers and restart). I bought it less than 2 weeks ago and since that time I had no problems with it until today, it started to randomly crash(very often), most of the time in games, but it also happened one time on desktop. I also recieve some blue screens after windows loading screen. Hope NVIDIA will fix this soon, it's a shame to have such great cards with such bad drivers.

Edited by 96andrei

Yep, with the new beta drivers even 2D applications stressing my 285 would cause video driver failure.

Youtube and other flash videos would randomly crash.

I switched back to non-beta drivers and I haven't had any issues in ~3 days.

that black screen crash hit me again yesterday :wacko: , but with a different approach this time; i was just browsing with firefox 8 then suddenly it locked up, cursor and keyboard both freezes :ouch:

then came the black screen but didn't recovered, did a hard reset then go back to firefox and browsed around with it's help menu trying to find any lead . found that 'crash' link that leads me to updating my firefox @ version 9. help tells updates 'might' fix crashes/hangs.

irdk if firefox has something to do with that pesky crashes, system under observation still :(

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same issue with my BFG GT285 OCX on my Dell system. However, after installing it in my new self-built system I haven't had the problem. It would crash during gaming almost exclusively, with certain games being less susceptible than others, but all of them would timeout during play. now; not a one has had that problem, and this is with the current release drivers. My current system is a much higher bandwidth than my i7 920 Dell was, so maybe that does have an effect, but I don't recall having this problem until the middle of last year.

I noticed this series of drivers having issues on my brother's machine last night. Although it works fine with my rig. :dunno:

i thought you're at BETA(285.79) capi, just what i saw with your benchies at your new 30" monitor thread.

anyways, good for you if you're not pissed with this :wacko: issue.