Forum Wars 2012 Announced

Nyt

Forum Wars 2012 Announced for March 2012

By Raymo at TRP

Just wanted to let everyone know that Forum Wars 2012 is on...

We will schedule the Wars for March 2012 instead of the usual Feb start because it will give us more time and we wont have to rush the Raptor Bowl coming January 1st 2012.

Yes.. the Raptor Bowl will be here on Jan 1st as a CPU benching contest

And.. Forum Wars will be here March 1st as a combination CPU/VGA contest.

We will be using some newer benchs for the upper classes that will require a certain level of hardware (DX 11 capable VGA(s) and no SR2 systems)

More info coming soon on both contests

~Raymo

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up :) Team organisation will begin soon to see who would like to compete - obviously systems will change so we only look at that closer to the time but we will just organise a member list

Oh and Im your new captain for OCC for this year's war :) :) :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will compete. I actually have a monitor that will run vantage this year! Maybe i will do some good. Still loving my prize from last year, CPU magazine.

So count me in.

Hopefully i will have a better cooler so i can push my oc past 4.0 this year, the comp should really be held in january, we could just go outside and oc to the moon.

I'll send out reminder when the dates for benchmarks are due so you dont have to worry about forgetting :)

January is the Raptor Bowl for cpu benching and there needs to be time in-between to organise stuff so I think thats why its now in March

Hopefully its cooler in March than here, we hit 33C in my room yesterday and 36C outside :erm:

I'd like to participate too. I mean, I don't have the highest, most extreme benching rig. But how does this competition work exactly?

And maybe we'll still have those lovely negative -8 degrees outside here in Denmark. So I'll take my pc outside and OC it till it melts the snow :)

Edited by Ecofriendly

Eco, your division is based on a handicap system. You add up points depending on your CPU (# of cores/threads), GPU(# of chips), and cooling(type: air, water, phase, LN2) your total points determines what class you are in. So, you are only competing with people who are in the same class as you, and have relatively the same number of total points as you.

Last year, I had a i7 930 ( 8 threads ), 2 GTX 460's ( 2 chips), and water cooling ( added 1, 0 for air ) so I was an 11 handicap, and I competed in the 10-11 Handicap class

Here is exactly how it worked last year, I'm sure it will be similiar! It is a good system, and you will compete against people with similiar setups :thumbsup:

(7) System Handicap (understanding it):

•All CPU Threads are added to all VGA cores..

•Then adding +1 for water, +2 for TEC & Chillers, +3 for Phase & DICE or +4 for Cascades & LN2.

•Take your total and find your class below (note: handicapping is for placement only)

(8) Forum Wars 2011 Classes:

The A Class (3 player teams)

•16+ Point Handicap Players

•Unlimited downgrades per team

•No unreleased architecture ES chips that are not available retail for 1 month prior to the war

The B Class (3 player teams)

•14 ~ 15 Point Handicap Players

•No unreleased architecture ES chips that are not available retail for 1 month prior to the war

The C Class (3 player teams)

•12 ~ 13 Point Handicap Players

The D Class (3 player teams)

•10 ~ 11 Point Handicap Players

The E Class (3 player teams)

•8 ~ 9 Point Handicap Players

The F Class (3 player teams)

•6 ~ 7 Point Handicap Players

The G Class (3 player teams)

•3 ~ 5 Point Handicap Players

i could be in g class with my sig computer, but it probably won't help that much...

maybe my gfs lappy could help, i7 2630QM, but only GMA3000 for graphics (cpu is awesome though!), would land in too high classes ;(

Last year to compete in the Overall Forum Winner, you had to have a team in every class, which we did not :( Point is, every single system and person helps :thumbsup: Also remember, each person can enter more than one system as long as they are not using/sharing the same CPU or GPU(s)!

What we need at this point is an idea of who is interested in being on the OCC Forum Wars Team. Last year we had a few people back out after the 3-man teams were already created, which caused some headaches. This is alot of fun for those who like to run benchmarks, and it really doesn't take that much time to run a few benchmarks at stock and overclocked. So the people that are interested need to stay committed, so that we can focus more on the competition and not juggling teams around after people have backed out :)