HT & Speedstep

hawkin90

Just a question for all you fellow overclockers.

Do any of you have hyperthreading enabled? And do you use speedstep?

For me, after disabling HT and enabling SS my idle temps went down 7-8 degrees.

I haven't really noticed any difference in performance, actually my fps went up a little in games without HT.

I thought I was using SS all the time but then I realized I had to enable C1E in my bios to get it to work.

Any opinions on this?

Just a question for all you fellow overclockers.

Do any of you have hyperthreading enabled? And do you use speedstep?

For me, after disabling HT and enabling SS my idle temps went down 7-8 degrees.

I haven't really noticed any difference in performance, actually my fps went up a little in games without HT.

I thought I was using SS all the time but then I realized I had to enable C1E in my bios to get it to work.

Any opinions on this?

I use HT all the time , whats the use of having an 8 thread i7 and not enable all the threads (especially true for 32nm i7's since the temps are so low anyway) ?

I used SS for most of overclocking and only noticed increased temps with it disabled when idling yet I can still overclock stably

HT isn't supported in any games that I'm aware of. In some benchmarks with multithreaded-enabled games, it even hinders performance slightly (unnoticeable in the 1-2 FPS range). There's just a small number of people that have HT'd CPU's, and to optimize a game to support HT would just take too long, and for the small amount of people that have it, it's not worth it for a 1-4 FPS possible increase.

If you want to trade my i5-2500K for your i7-2600K, let me know. ;)

There's a difference between OC'ing Sandy Bridge and 1st Gen. i7's Nehalem's. You have to enable SS on Sandy Bridge to get and OC higher than 4.5Ghz with HT on. But I've know a few people that run their i7 9xx's w/ SS off @ 4Ghz+.

You have to enable SS on Sandy Bridge to get and OC higher than 4.5Ghz with HT on.

I ran my 5Ghz 2600k with HT using SS for months w/o problems :-/ It helps a lot with keeping temps down and thus helping keep the temp of the water in the loop cooler

I ran my 5Ghz 2600k with HT using SS for months w/o problems :-/ It helps a lot with keeping temps down and thus helping keep the temp of the water in the loop cooler

He said you have to enable it to get a good OC. :P I read it wrong the first time too.

I disabled it because my system was unstable. When it was on it would jump up under load like it was supposed to but i dont think it had enough voltage because once it jumped it tended to freeze. So i disabled it and i dont have that problem anymore.