AMD drivers unable to install

Silas13013

Alright, so in preparation for BF3, I did a rough OC on my dual 6950s in crossfire. I managed to get 955/1450/1180 without any trouble on Sapphire Trixx and stable for an hour on MSI kombustor burn in test. Well I started playing BF3 and noticed that the game ran like crap so I updated my drivers with the 11.10 patch or whatever it was and tried it again. The game ran perfectly even without the OC so I didn't notice until I tried to OC for a night of folding that I ran into issues. About 10 seconds after the folding client started the AMD display driver crashed, recovered then BSOD. So I figured it was something to do with the folding client so I restarted and ran the OC again and this time ran kombustor again and the burn in test didn't even fully load before BSOD again. So now I'm confused. The OC worked fine before, no change when I installed my SSD, but just to be sure I reinstalled Trixx and kombustor onto the SSD and... no change. BSOD before the burn in test even loads fully. I can't even get a stable OC using the Catalyst software.

So my question is, is the 11.10 update to blame? Is the new SSD to blame? Do you think one of the cards went bad? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks

Silas

Edited by Silas13013

I did a reinstall of 11.9 and.... the reinstall failed? I figured something was up so I did a complete driver wipe and reinstalled 11.8 and.... same error and install failure.

OK so now I'm confused. Here is the text it gives me;

Packages for install

AMD Display Driver

Final Status: Fail

Version of Item: 8.881.0.0000

Size: 90 Mbytes

HDMI/DP Audio Driver

Final Status: Success

Version of Item: 7.12.0.7702

Size: 1 Mbytes

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Version of Item: 10.0.30319

Size: 9 Mbytes

Does anyone have any idea what has caused this?

Alright, after several different driver cleaners, different attempts at install an no luck, I have run out of ideas. Apparently, everything installs fine except the AMD display drivers;

AMD Catalyst Install Manager

Version of Item: 3.0.842.0

Size: 20 Mbytes

AMD Display Driver

Version of Item: 8.892.0.0000

Size: 90 Mbytes

HDMI/DP Audio Driver

Version of Item: 7.12.0.7702

Size: 1 Mbytes

That is the message I am getting now.

Has anyone run across this before? Should I remove my cards and try to install the drivers one at a time? :dunno:

Yep, it gives me the same error and when I try to go to the device manager and have it update there, it says that the drivers are correct and up to date as "Standard VGA driver"

Edit: I did a system recovery to bring myself back to when the AMD display driver was still active so my screen is no longer wonky, however the Catalyst control center still doesn't work, I can't tell what driver update I have installed and none of the catalyst drivers will install still. Does anyone have any advice?

Edit 2: The C++ redistributable files also don't want to install either

Edit 3: Almost to add insult to injury, I was trying to figure out exactly what driver I have installed (11.8 apparently), when I noticed that my windows experience index had been lowered in the graphics area :angry: Is that any indicator of something or just the experience index being itself?

Edited by Silas13013

Well, I did everything the guide said to do and well... it all works perfectly! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Seriously, thank you very much for that guide. Everything was well explained and complimented by the numerous and helpful pictures. You guide has been bookmarked and I will be sure to consult it every time I have an AMD driver issue.

So thank you again for getting my rig back online and functioning perfectly :cheers: