Who wants to make a UDK Game?

ir_cow

You couldn't really collaborate on a game on a forum... you'd need something more instant... I'd say either IRC or some form of groupable IM... Skype could work since you can use it on multiple platforms, either 1:1 or group, IM or voice or video... a lot of indie developers use IRC

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't really collaborate on a game on a forum... you'd need something more instant... I'd say either IRC or some form of groupable IM... Skype could work since you can use it on multiple platforms, either 1:1 or group, IM or voice or video... a lot of indie developers use IRC

I know IRC can be a good option, but if you plan to have something where someone can read what's been said then IRC can't do that, or at least I've never heard of that function. Whenever I join the OCC IRC it's just fresh, no previous text to check out. I don't really see how a forum isn't instant enough though, I mean if you refresh the page you can see if someone has posted something or not.

I don't have a problem with IRC but I think we should figure out what we're looking for in communication methods, personally I'm fine with anything.

You can leave a computer logged in (and set to auto logon if it disconnects) on IRC...

The main thing for me is IM and IRC you can have a conversation... try to decide things in detail on a forum / email / SMS is painful... I did games development as a M.Sc. and it is hard enough developing a game with other people face-to-face, let alone a non-instant form of communication... having to refresh a page for a simple yes, no, or word isn't really something I'd recommend at all.

I think a forum is a good idea though, especially for resources, designs and documentation (everyone loves documentation, lol), but for the actual work you'll need something instantaneous otherwise you'll pull a lot of late nights

You can leave a computer logged in (and set to auto logon if it disconnects) on IRC...

The main thing for me is IM and IRC you can have a conversation... try to decide things in detail on a forum / email / SMS is painful... I did games development as a M.Sc. and it is hard enough developing a game with other people face-to-face, let alone a non-instant form of communication... having to refresh a page for a simple yes, no, or word isn't really something I'd recommend at all.

I think a forum is a good idea though, especially for resources, designs and documentation (everyone loves documentation, lol), but for the actual work you'll need something instantaneous otherwise you'll pull a lot of late nights

Like I said, I'm fine with whatever, but no one seems to want to mess with setting up IRC so I was just trying to get things moving along by suggesting something else. That's the best way to get the ball rolling here I think, try and find something a little more agreeable, because I don't think too many people like IRC, most OCCers know that OCC has an IRC but they never get on it.

In fact, just for the fun of it, I went ahead and checked to see how many people are in the IRC right now, 3 idlers. However while I see this, I also see the latest guest wasn't too pleased with the IRC being unresponsive. As seen below.

[22:05] <OCCnewbie> Hi!

[22:05] <OCCnewbie> Is anybody there?

[22:07] <OCCnewbie> I'm about to give up onthis website because it is unresponsive in a number of ways.

IRC is nice, don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on it at all, but it's simply not as useful as forum if people are away from their computers.

If you really want to use IM, let's use Steam, you can create group chats or we can probably use the OCC Group's chatroom even, seeing as how we're making a game or mod for a game, I would imagine we all probably have steam already and would be most comfortable with something we know.

Why are people debating which communication method to use? Seriously, just use multiple because each has their own advantage. IRC or some other chat system for immediate collaboration, a forum for sharing and discussing ideas without instant responses, and a wiki for what is accepted by the group and, more or less, final. Also, the logs of all IRC chats can then be posted on the forum or wiki for those who were not in the chat to still read it. It's not like we can only use one form of communication.

Why are people debating which communication method to use? Seriously, just use multiple because each has their own advantage. IRC or some other chat system for immediate collaboration, a forum for sharing and discussing ideas without instant responses, and a wiki for what is accepted by the group and, more or less, final. Also, the logs of all IRC chats can then be posted on the forum or wiki for those who were not in the chat to still read it. It's not like we can only use one form of communication.

:withstupid:

On the work side i am happy to do whatever i can on photoshop. I dont always have loads of time but this is as good a use of it as any.

I think it's being debated because no one wants to do it, I mean if anyone here did, we'd already have an IRC setup, it's that simple, and that's why I suggested alternatives.

On the communication front how about Teamspeak? I could ask my gaming community if they'd be willing to host a project like this?

Well we have a vent available to use already and we would have more control in it I think, but I guess it doesn't matter what we use, either one would be fine.

Here is the vent info if anyone wants to hop in.

vent30.gameservers.com

There might be a password but I'm not sure, if there is just say so and I'll see if I can figure out what it is.

Also, I'm always logged into steam, except for when it's servers are acting up of course, and that's probably the best way to get a hold of me as far as IM goes. I've also been playing around with some 3D modeling software today and I think I can help with that, I seem to catch on pretty quick with it, which is pretty rare, I'm usually not a fast learner. :lol:

Edited by Deathmineral

Well I can model pretty much anything except people.Did a hundred or so levels/maps for Novalogics Deltaforce series of games.Also done quite a few terrains for those games.Got Paint shop pro, fairly used to it.Also have a Canon rebel t2i if someone needs a pic for textures.I use Cinema4D and Wings 3d for the modeling plus Bryce 5 for some texture images.Never played with UDK but I do have Unreal tournament on disk somewhere. Yes I have a steam account.

Multiple options for communication on the project seems to me like the way to go.Forum..for instructions or general directions, downloads, content and info etc.And some type of IM for collaboration between team members.Been looking for something to do like this..Been bored and wanted to do some more modeling just didn't have a direction.Attaching a pic of a model of a S/W .357.It's way too poly heavy for a game but it can give you guys an idea of what I'm capable of modeling wise if this comes to fruition.

Edited by wildman2

Okay so I have found out the password for the Vent server, so feel free to message me on steam or IRC for it.

Well I can model pretty much anything except people.Did a hundred or so levels/maps for Novalogics Deltaforce series of games.Also done quite a few terrains for those games.Got Paint shop pro, fairly used to it.Also have a Canon rebel t2i if someone needs a pic for textures.I use Cinema4D and Wings 3d for the modeling plus Bryce 5 for some texture images.Never played with UDK but I do have Unreal tournament on disk somewhere. Yes I have a steam account.

Multiple options for communication on the project seems to me like the way to go.Forum..for instructions or general directions, downloads, content and info etc.And some type of IM for collaboration between team members.Been looking for something to do like this..Been bored and wanted to do some more modeling just didn't have a direction.Attaching a pic of a model of a S/W .357.It's way too poly heavy for a game but it can give you guys an idea of what I'm capable of modeling wise if this comes to fruition.

I don't suppose you work with Blender at all? That's the program I'm trying to learn right now but it's certainly being a challenge with my zero prior knowledge to this stuff. :lol:

Edited by Deathmineral

Okay Tomorrow (sept 5) at 8PM Eastern Time the OCC IRC (it's on top of the main page) is going to be taken over unofficially to get this rolling. i will present a schedule and duties based on what people feel conferable doing/ want to do . remember all are welcome and this is for fun so don't feel you HAVE to contribute or dedicate mass amount of time. just join us and maybe future down the road you will hopefully give your input.

Remember to have fun and talk to you all soon!