Who wants to make a UDK Game?

ir_cow

Coding is required if you actually want to run a game. You can't just drag and drop, and copy/paste your way through this. UDK handles the graphics, physics, and AI, but the coder actually needs to write in the code for shooting, movement, etc. The coder even needs to make sure the things UDK handles works correctly or how the designer wants.

Well then, I guess that answers a few things, so I guess the next thing to do is to find someone that can do the coding.

By the way, OCC also has a Vent, I think we could use that for this project, it's practically empty anymore and and even when people get on it, there are plenty of channels to choose from in it. Also I'm an admin on it so that gives us some control in it I guess if we needed to do anything admin-ish in it. :lol:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've work with the UDK a my self and right now my min priority is getting custom weapons in it. I've already got a few textures done and ready to use. I've skinned some models and textured them as well. Let me know if your interested in using them. (only about 4 or 5 models right now but more are in the works).

In short I'd be happy to contribute!

Been playing with the cryengine 3 for a bit. Haven't worked with it before only worked with TESConstructionSet and GECK.

Was so annoyed when I first went to use it and I was getting massive screen flicker and a ghost image of the entire map, permenantly in the background.

Had to disable sli, all after I had problems with updading drivers because when I did I couldn't even enable sli. I spent a while uninstalling cleaning and reinstalling older drives so I could get sli working. Now cryengine 3 wants none of it. Will let you know over the coming days what i think of the program and I may end up making some maps.

I can host the site if this gets further down the line. Just need to purchase the domain name and I have the hosting account. :) Obviously need funds for the domain though, lol.

Edited by gebraset

Just giving the thread a little bump here, see if there is still any interest in this project or whatever's on the mind for it.

Personally I've been dabbling with some 3D modeling software lately, for minecraft projects, and I think I could be of some help with that, seems pretty easy to pick up on how it works even though I'm sure I'm only playing around with amateur stuff right now.

I could join you if you want. I've been dabbling around in CryEngine 3 map maker for a while and starting to like it. Been mapping since the days of World in Conflict (pre-Ubisoft) had nothing released but had some amazing work going at the time.

What type of the game will be? FPS?

I develop websites (HTML, CSS, JS-AJAX, PHP, SQL(MySQL, MsSQL)).

I have used Unity3D Engine and created some small 3D games, but i haven't finished them, because i don't have decent models.

And I can write code in C#(Used in Unity3D), C++(Basic knowledge), Jscript.NET, Java(Basic knowledge), Pawn.

Edited by kr1ska

sorry guys it been a while since i replied but a quick update is that i'm working full time and taking 18cr so i hace just about zero free time. I was hoping to get something going before school starts but i didn't happen.

what needs to happen now is: IRC channel (maybe use one of the empty OCC ones) > a time we can all gather on it to decide what to make > wipe up a small website directly related to this with maybe a forum to avoid cluttering OCC forums.

step one: anyone know a good OCC channel or can host a IRC channel? step two: what time is the best do you guys think would be best to get the most people in at once?

once we figure this out than we can move forward and have a greater direction. as of right now it's unknown what kind of mod or game it's going to be. second the move from Cryengine to UDK is mainly because i find importing models and working back and forth with maya/3ds/zbrush is much easier and integrated.

feel free to directly PM me if you have something IRC related, this may be faster than posting. otherwise if someone wants to just take it into there own hands, host a channel and post it. hopefully this part won't take weeks lol

Edited by hornybluecow

I'm kind of curious, does it have to be IRC? I mean the features that IRC offers us aren't really that useful to us, all we're looking for is an instant form of communication isn't it?

Edit: Just out of curiosity I went through the thread to see who wants to do what and it definitely seems like we have a good variety of skills here, enough to cover everything I think, which kind of surprised me because until I thoroughly looked it over I thought we had a lot less going on. I also realized that I never posted my skill set properly so I guess I'll tack that on the end here.

GIMP (that's right, I don't spend $700 on software I can get for free), 3D modeling, programming, and animations. Honestly though, I'm pretty amateur at all of these, but I think I could still put them to use and learn as I go along of course.

Edited by Deathmineral

it's more about "instant form of communication" i just know IRC keeps the log so if someone logs in later they can see the conversation. I think that would be replaced by a blog or mass email.

i do have access to training material for photoshop/zbrush and maya for anyone who wants jump into something they haven't used before.

it's more about "instant form of communication" i just know IRC keeps the log so if someone logs in later they can see the conversation. I think that would be replaced by a blog or mass email.

i do have access to training material for photoshop/zbrush and maya for anyone who wants jump into something they haven't used before.

Well I think IRC can keep logs of what's been said, in files, but if someone gets on the IRC after we've said everything, they can't see any of that without viewing the files. The most practical thing for what you're talking about is a forum or wiki, those are pretty much the only types of communication where someone could log in and see everything that's happened.

I think a forum is what we need, there are plenty of sites out there that host forums for free. We can easily organize the topics, keep track of the project easier.