Toxic Edition of the Sapphire HD 6950 2GB Video Card Tested

Nemo

OCC reviewer airman took a shining to our latest review subject from Sapphire, especially when it cam to cooling and overclocking, plus it comes bundled with a copy of DiRT3. Check out his review of the Sapphire HD6950 2GB DiRT3 Toxic Edition - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd6950_toxic_2gb/

Did you bench any as a "6970"??

Also how was noise at full fan speed??

Yes, but those results were beyond the scope of the test. I included a screenshot of the before/after of 3dMark11 on the overclocking page in the review, but that's it. After playing with it myself and re-running the benchmarks I am seeing anywhere between a 5-10% increase in FPS over the entire board.

Fan is pretty loud at 100% but I doubt it'd ever get there an auto. But then again, what video cards nowadays don't sound like turbines when you rev them to almost 6000RPM?

Yes, but those results were beyond the scope of the test. I included a screenshot of the before/after of 3dMark11 on the overclocking page in the review, but that's it. After playing with it myself and re-running the benchmarks I am seeing anywhere between a 5-10% increase in FPS over the entire board.

Fan is pretty loud at 100% but I doubt it'd ever get there an auto. But then again, what video cards nowadays don't sound like turbines when you rev them to almost 6000RPM?

IGP's?

How high do 120mm fans go?

120mm fans would probably explode at 6000rpm

Most 120mm fans go between 1800-2100 RPM. Some go as high as 4000 RPM, and Delta Electronics has one that goes at 5200 RPM.

You could build a hover...computer.. with that.

Absolutely, this was one helluva card!

hey airman, GREAT review and it actually led to me purchasing this GPU...got it in the mail yesterday :)

my questions: for the 6970 unlock, all you did was shut down the computer, change the physical switch on the card itself, and reboot? did you have to do anything else to unlock the extra shaders?

also, when you said you overclocked it to a "core clock of 1010 MHz and a memory clock of 1500 MHz," are those numbers STABLE? or will it hurt the life of the card in the long-run? sorry if these are n00b questions but the last time i built a desktop was 7+ years ago...haha. i'd greatly appreciate any feedback!