CM HAF 912 Plus

Hi there. First of all, I'd just like to say that my brand new system finally is running properly (so far) after weeks and weeks of hardware problems!!!

Anyway.. I got this HAF 912 Plus, which comes with a 200mm front fan and a 120mm rear fan. As some might know, there are room for some more in the top, which is why there has been made this holed filter on the raw materiale of the case in the top. My question goes: since I have 0 fans installed in the top, should I cover the "filter" with something, to prehend dust from easily getting down there? The filter area is about 20x25 cm.

Cooler-Master-HAF-912-Plus-0.jpg

lmfao...

isnt the point of a filter to catch dust?

so why would you want to cover something to prevent dust from being caught in the thing designed to catch dust?

you can seal it up if you like, it wont hurt anything

the better option, but a fan in it

lmfao...

isnt the point of a filter to catch dust?

so why would you want to cover something to prevent dust from being caught in the thing designed to catch dust?

you can seal it up if you like, it wont hurt anything

the better option, but a fan in it

Either you don't understand me or else you don't know the case..

It's not a dust filter, i just used the word "filter" because i dunno what else to call it. It's an area which could also just have been a hole in the case.. The holes are that big.

I won't install another fan, so that won't handle it.

some cases have removable dust filters and some do not

a bunch of holes in a metal grate is not a filter, they are holes

as long as you are running the front two fans on your case (with filters) you do not need to worry about dust entering the top as the pressure inside the case will force the air upward and out

however, that is not an excuse to neglect regular maintenance, you will still have to blow out some dust from inside every month or so

also, puttiing your case on a floor will get dirtier much faster than setting it on a table

however, if you still prefer to close it, it will not hurt anything

No it does not need to be covered. You should have positive airflow in the case when the fans are running. Put a tissue on the top of the case while it is running to see if it is pushed up and off or sits sucked to the top. If it pushes up you know you have positive airflow and you component cooling is being helped. Either way it is not a filter just a series of punched hols that can accommodate 2x120mm or one 200mm fan on the top to expand the air flow through the chassis. I just recently put together a water cooled version of this case and mounted the radiator in that position. Dust wont accumulate to bad because of the opening so you will be fine.

No it does not need to be covered. You should have positive airflow in the case when the fans are running. Put a tissue on the top of the case while it is running to see if it is pushed up and off or sits sucked to the top. If it pushes up you know you have positive airflow and you component cooling is being helped. Either way it is not a filter just a series of punched hols that can accommodate 2x120mm or one 200mm fan on the top to expand the air flow through the chassis. I just recently put together a water cooled version of this case and mounted the radiator in that position. Dust wont accumulate to bad because of the opening so you will be fine.

:withstupid:

I'd call it a fan shroud myself

I think his intent would be to cover the top when the computer is off, to minimize the amount of dust going in from the top.

And in my opinion, as long as you don't leave your computer off for an extended period of time, it's not needed.