1. 1. Intel or AMD?

• Intel
    • AMD

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do a ton of PC builds for both businesses and personal use. Over time I found that by a factor of about 2 to 1 the Intel solution always proved to be better. In a business environment where the computers are up 24/7 most AMD processors lasted a year or less which was very disappointing. So, now, I used Intel exclusively unless a client specifically wants AMD because of the cost factor.

Okay I am curious about the bolded part of the answer and the relvence.

As for me I use both. I have three gaming rigs in the hous, 2 AMD and an Intel. As for personal choice, I would spend my own money on AMD becuase of the value.

Well I don't mean AMD is better for gaming, I've seen it go both ways really. As far as games go though, it's been my experience that anymore they're less CPU intensive and more GPU intensive, so you won't really see an improvement between a 1100T and a 2600k aside from benchmarks, instead of 120 FPS you might get 167 FPS, regardless that doesn't make a difference when you actually play the game, might as well go with the cheaper option if all you do is game.

It's like getting a Lamborghini over a Prius, sure it can go 100mph faster but the speed limit is still 70mph. :lol:

I used to do a ton of PC builds for both businesses and personal use. Over time I found that by a factor of about 2 to 1 the Intel solution always proved to be better. In a business environment where the computers are up 24/7 most AMD processors lasted a year or less which was very disappointing. So, now, I used Intel exclusively unless a client specifically wants AMD because of the cost factor.

Hearing something like that is almost enough to convert this AMD fanboy to Intel. :lol:

I run my computer 24/7 and have been using AMD for years and they've always outlived their usefulness.

Intel (P67)

Started as a Intel builder, then moved to AMD for sometime. Then made the move back to Intel, in a specific game I play, there is a difference that can be seen between the two.

AMD because of 990FX?? That's a strange reason :mellow:

Why is that strange? The 990FX platform will be released soon so that is what I've been using for the past couple of months. Boards need to be put through the paces before being released.

AMD here because of the price to performance. Also I don't care much for Intel's old business tactics, but that was more important a few years ago. Right now I'll probably stick with AMD just because of money, but if I had unlimited funds for a computer, yeah, I'd go Intel. That's for desktops at least. For laptops I will only go AMD or Intel with discrete graphics. Intel integrated graphics are horrible, last I heard (admittedly that was several years ago), almost like they were only meant for the 2D or 2.5D of an OS and not the 3D of games and similar applications.

Why is that strange? The 990FX platform will be released soon so that is what I've been using for the past couple of months. Boards need to be put through the paces before being released.

It's just the most baseless reason i can think of for AMD :lol: (no offense), what does 990FX offer that a decent X58 or Z58 board wont?

Enlighten me, the 900 series boards are great for those running AMD but with all the nice specs they'll have, they'll probably cost as much as intel and I'd rather have an intel then lol

AMD here because of the price to performance. Also I don't care much for Intel's old business tactics, but that was more important a few years ago. Right now I'll probably stick with AMD just because of money, but if I had unlimited funds for a computer, yeah, I'd go Intel. That's for desktops at least. For laptops I will only go AMD or Intel with discrete graphics. Intel integrated graphics are horrible, last I heard (admittedly that was several years ago), almost like they were only meant for the 2D or 2.5D of an OS and not the 3D of games and similar applications.

Intel's integrated is improving, and for a laptop all you should really look for is whether it can handle any type of video file. Gaming on a laptop is a money pit and a battery whore ;)

With Sandbridge, AMD doesn't really have too much price/performance anymore. They did pre-SB but now most of their top-end stuff has been beaten. Even some of the lowend HT'd dual core i3s can beat the Athlon II quads in most things.