Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong

i came across this great article and the things they talk about "Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong" i mostly knew about. i thought i would pass the info along, as i'm always finding people buying cheap psu;s or 1000watt ones because they think its the only thing that can keep a 500watt load.

i'm sorry to say but Hardware Secrets is the only website i've come across that takes PSU reviews seriously. I wish more was on the website.

edit: i do see OCC has stepped its game since i last check (which was about a year ago). good job!

Edited by hornybluecow

Seen that article and I think OCC gets a mention for "Some websites even compare the voltages found with voltage levels found on competing products", something I've never done!

The article is pretty good but it has it faults and in reality 100% of power supply reviews are wrong. The ATX12V specification is pretty comprehensive and I've yet to see a power supply review that checks everything against the specification.

What I mean by wrong is there's alot in the ATX specification that's never tested like capacitive loading, rail power sequencing, rail hold up times etc, etc. How far do you go with a review, sorry First Impression? :lol:

The only reviews that should be done on a power supply are the ones a year or more after they're first installed. I don't want to hear how nicely it fires up once it's installed. I'd rather hear that it's still going strong a year or more later and has had no glitches...

• Like 1

I have never gotten into PSUs to much. I will buy one if it has good ratings(like from newegg), its from a good brand and has a wattage rating a need.

That is all I worry about when it comes to PSUs. I have never even read a review pertaining to a PSU i was going to buy.

Yep, the link to that article has been included in the recommended power supply list for a long time now. :D

I can remember when I first linked to it, there were only a select few sites doing reviews "properly". Fortunately more have picked up some better habits since then (and that article has been updated too).

There are other good PSU articles linked in the recommended list too. I strongly suggest giving some of them a look if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Edited by jammin

maybe because- no one cares

people buy cheap PSUs maybe because... idk, maybe because they are CHEAP

people dont buy cheap PSUs because they want cheap quality, they buy them because they have NO MONEY or spent their money on too high a processor (intel fanboy crap, :heh:)

I don't think you know anyone who owns a 1000watt PSU that does not have a high end build, though it is true many people overbuild as well

that website is plain white and kind of ugly like a 1970's newspaper, he has no right to criticize others as amateurs if he cant even design a basic webpage and is using something that looks like it was free from wordpress.com

though he is right that many people don't know what they are doing when testing PSUs, there are still plenty of good sites that review them fine

and in the world of PSUs, you get what you pay for is the bottom line

Edited by potatochobit

maybe because- no one cares

people buy cheap PSUs maybe because... idk, maybe because they are CHEAP

people dont buy cheap PSUs because they want cheap quality, they buy them because they have NO MONEY or spent their money on too high a processor (intel fanboy crap, :heh:)

I don't think you know anyone who owns a 1000watt PSU that does not have a high end build, though it is true many people overbuild as well

that website is plain white and kind of ugly like a 1970's newspaper, he has no right to criticize others as amateurs if he cant even design a basic webpage and is using something that looks like it was free from wordpress.com

though he is right that many people don't know what they are doing when testing PSUs, there are still plenty of good sites that review them fine

and in the world of PSUs, you get what you pay for is the bottom line

:mfp:

• Like 1