Corsair TX750 V2 750W & TX850 V2 850W Power Supply Review

OCC is back with another review of a power supply, this time two units from Corsair. See how the new units stack up as OCC reviewer paulktreg looks at the Corsair TX750 V2 750W & TX850 V2 850W Power Supply - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_tx750_tx850_v2/

Perform better than their predecessors with the same drawbacks and get a silver instead of gold :huh:

Yes but this time around I expected a little better. Very nearly Gold but not quite there. ;)

Perform better than their predecessors with the same drawbacks and get a silver instead of gold :huh:

Yes but this time around I expected a little better. Very nearly Gold but not quite there. ;)

I would also venture to say there wasn't as many stand out units back then as there is now :)

Understandable....

though they are currently cheaper than the older ones:

750w

850w

even with the marginal improvements, they're offering more for less :P

I would also venture to say there wasn't as many stand out units back then as there is now :)

I see what you're saying but that doesn't mean we shouldn't award Corsair for still upholding a respectable quality level, even while their competitors put up a better fight ;)

It's really difficult to separate power supplies these days and I'm sure it's the same with other hardware and at the end of the day it's my personal opinion. You don't base the decision to buy on one review, read others, see what they say and then make a decision.

How do you judge a power supply? Do you judge it solely on performance or because it does what it says on the tin? A combination of both I guess but performance must take priority and even over a couple of years the bar has been raised.

I thought Silver was a fair award judging by standards today not a couple of years ago. Take the Mushkin 800W for instance I reviewed recently. A similar price to the Corsairs, more watts, better efficiency and lower noise levels so it got a Gold. The Seasonic X-Series 760W is expensive, similar noise levels to the Corsairs but one of the most efficient, well made and quiet units I've ever tested so I gave it an Editors choice, again my opinion. I could have given the Cosairs a Gold award but it lowers the bar so to speak and leaves little headroom for other power supplies out there that will, I've no doubt, be better.

... and I did point out that the V2 Corsairs are cheaper than the originals in the review. Can we reach any conclusion from that?

Does that make sense? ;)

Well said Paul. We can't give a Gold award out to any and everything that performs within reasonable estimations. There has to be some level of parity with reviews. Like Paul said, you have to weigh in several factors for what award to give and even though the TX V2 performed well in the tests, there are other units out there that perform on a higher level. Be it better efficiency, higher quality components, what have you.

Well said Paul. We can't give a Gold award out to any and everything that performs within reasonable estimations.

Guess again, it doesn't even have to perform reasonable at all: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_hd_6790/16.htm :lol:http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_6790/15.htm

But yeah I suppose in the grouping of today's higher quantities of quality units, this one doesn't quite stand out far enough to be a silver. Maybe Corsair will see this review and be moved to make it's fan quieter!