Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 overclocking

I managed to reduce the temps by reducing the voltages, 1.3v now from 1.38v and the temps dropped 7C.

But i cant overclock more! I tried to get it at 4Ghz, but failed.

Even if i raise the voltage more than 1.4V.

Any tips about the other voltages? like the CPU PLL Voltage?, or GTL Ref, NB Voltage... Any help would be good.

(I also Added some extra Fans to the Motherboard Coolers)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never overclocked anything on s775 except my Q6600 - and I don't think what I know specifically about mine really applies to the newer dual cores.

Edited by Waco

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to Overclock at a high point, with maximum 65c and stable!

1) I switched my Mobos bios to Rampage Formula latest bios.

2) VCore at 1.48

3) FSB 401 x10.5 [That's a 4.2Gz! (1,4Gz overclock!)]

4) I Dropped my RAM at 804Mhz with timings 4-4-4-12 for a 1:1 !

A new question is...

What Ai transaction booster / Ai Clock twister is?

How do i know what im doing with those and what should i do?

John, unless you have a compelling reason to mess with those two settings I'd leave both of them on Auto. There isn't enough of a performance gain to be had by tweaking those especially if your system is already stable. You've hit the primary high points;

FSB

CPU Multiplier

Memory Multiplier and Strap

It's just that i want to mess around! i even thinking of going higher FSB... :evilgrin:

And i want to break my personal old highest overclock!

But, maybe i will just have to stop at this point!

Although i dont think i will stop... :D

Every experience i can get is pretty good for me and sharing my succesfull results!

Hey bud - I say go for it. This is called Overclockers Club Forums for a reason :)

But back to those two settings. By playing around with them you can increase your memory bandwidth - but keep in mind that there are only two ways to increase memory bandwidth and reduce latencies - those are by increasing the dram frequency or lowering the dram timings. Doing either of those has the potential to hold back your cpu overclocks.

In my book cpu clocks are king, so I focus on getting the best out of my cpu frequency and then go to work on the RAM. Understanding, that to achieve your maximum cpu frequency you may have to settle on lower dram frequencies or looser dram timings.

Hehehe!

Well, DRam Frequency wont lower more! it's already at the lowest setting...

As for the timings.. well, i want to keep that 1:1 ratio!

The only reason for asking about Ai transaction booster and Ai Clock twister was because i have no idea!

But i still have much more to learn...

Raising the FSB and the Vcore Wont help me a lot as i can guess... the Temps will go to "heaven", and will burn as hell! (that was very philosophic! lol)

I am not sure how other voltages can help me, like North/south Bridge, or NB/SB voltages... and so on...

P.S South Bridge and SB is not the same thing right? :S

On most socket 775 boards increasing the northbridge voltage will help you up your FSB speed, but you need to keep an eye on the northbridge temperature because those can be a booger on the socket 775 boards :)

Fortunately for you, your board has a pretty massive heatpipe cooling solution sitting on top of it....................... If you have a side window fan blow in that direction even better!

Usually not much reason to bump the southbridge voltage at all unless there is a specific stability problem that might be corrected by doing so.

Edited by wevsspot

Oh ok, i think i got the point... um, What about the FSB term voltage? (or something like that... i dont remember clearly now)

Should i increase it? if yes... how much? (i'm careless and i will go really high! im sure about that! :whistling: )

*About that Side Window Fan you said, well i have placed a fan on each of these Cooling Heatpipes!* (im one step ahead! :ph34r: xD )

Edited by John_again