Magnet Fan Filter

A professional degausser is about the only thing I'd be worried about. Strong neodymium magnets don't even compare. I've played with a 2"x1"x1" n45 neodymium magnet with a 2.5" laptop HDD and a 3.5" desktop HDD - I couldn't get it to do anything at all even when I was trying to get it to corrupt things. :cheers:

I don't think they should be worried about the hard drive, but the cable going to the hard drive. The last time I checked, SATA cables weren't the best at blocking EMI.

I don't think they should be worried about the hard drive, but the cable going to the hard drive. The last time I checked, SATA cables weren't the best at blocking EMI.

This is working on the basis of what i am going to add. Like Waco points out unless you have something ridiculously strong, a magnet on the exterior of the drive will most likely do nothing. YET, if while in operation a magnet was to come close/connect to the SATA cable/connector; in my mind it wouldn’t be inconceivable that you could screw some junk up. Something along the lines of the heads writing in the wrong place to the data that is being written is not the same i.e. corrupted.

The last time I checked, SATA cables weren't the best at blocking EMI.

Electromagnetic interference is quite a bit different than holding a magnet next to the SATA cable. :P