Help with Thermaltake V6 chassis issue!!

Hi guy's i just signed up today and wanted to ask for a little help with an issue i'm having.

I just put together a new build including a Thermaltake V6 chassis with top HDD dock. The issue that i'm haivng is that i lose video when i connect an HDD into the dock. I'm using HDMI from my Sapphire HD 5770 to my 32' Vizio HD LCD TV, but as soon as i connect a HDD the video gets knocked out. The power is still on and everything is running, but my TV seems to lose the signal from HDMI. Does anyone know what can be causing this?? or is the dock on the case interfering with the HDMI display. I have yet to try this via DVI or VGA.

More system specs Please.

It sounds like it could be a power supply problem, but I'm just guessing here, since I don't know what your system specs are.

You Should be using an E-sata port on your motherboard for the hot swap, so you may want to double check that.

by all means, try using the different video inputs and see if the problem still occurs.

Does your video comeback when you unplug the hardrive? or do you have to restart your system?

Have you tried a different harddrive? Sata Cables? Power connection for the dock / harddrive?

If you list your system specs like what's shown in my signature that will help a lot,

especially your power supply specs.

Edit: Have you tried wiggling your HDMI connections to see if maybe it's just a loose connection?

I have that problem on the BD player in my living room. (cheap HDMI cables)

Edited by Scottike

Thank's for the reply here are my specs, I think i have the SATA cable in one of the regular SATA ports so that could be it. I'll have to check it when i get off work. The video didn't come back when i pulled out the HDD and i had to restart. This is the linik to my PSU specs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

Chassis: Thermaltake V6

Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO

CPU: AMD Phenom x4 955 3.2 GHZ w/ stock cooler

Memory: Geil DDR3 1600

GPU: Sapphire HD 5770

PSU: Raidmax 630W

Drives: WD Green 640GB, Asus DVD/CD

Edited by Blueprint83

It looks to me like your power supply is the problem.

even though the manufacturer calls it a 630 watt supply, it's a split rail supply,

and it's only rated for 22 amps per 12 volt rail. your 5770 should have at least 34 amps

available to it. and if you have other things connected to the same rail,

your video card may not be getting enough power. you might try setting your video card

up on one rail and powering everything else on the other rail to see if that helps,

but I fear that your split rail supply may not be up to the task.

you may want to look over the power supply stickies at the top of this section.

Edit: Have you tried to boot the system from power off with the hdd in the dock? If it won't,

hook up the hdd normally ( not using the dock) and see if your system will boot.

If that won't go either, then try a different hdd.

Edited by Scottike

It looks to me like your power supply is the problem.

even though the manufacturer calls it a 630 watt supply, it's a split rail supply,

and it's only rated for 22 amps per 12 volt rail. your 5770 should have at least 34 amps

available to it. and if you have other things connected to the same rail,

your video card may not be getting enough power. you might try setting your video card

up on one rail and powering everything else on the other rail to see if that helps,

but I fear that your split rail supply may not be up to the task.

you may want to look over the power supply stickies at the top of this section.

Edit: Have you tried to boot the system from power off with the hdd in the dock? If it won't,

hook up the hdd normally ( not using the dock) and see if your system will boot.

If that won't go either, then try a different hdd.

I do concur that it maybe your psu.

But with out knowing how the rails are split. (what connectors are on what rail) it maybe frustrating switching around connectors trying to find a stable output.

It very well could be a wire in the dock is frayed or broken and when you complete the circuit with a hdd the psu shuts down to save itself.

I suggest (like above) Trying it with a normal power and data cable and seeing if that boots it. If it does then I'd say the dock is defective.