Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB Hard Drive Review

bp9801

OCC is back with another hard drive review, this time of a monster 2TB drive. Find out how it performs as OCC reviewer ajmatson checks out the Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB hard drive - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/barracuda_green_2tb/

It is... but these days for HDD's, I'd like to know how well they hold up in RAID arrays. Maybe something to include in reviews? My last Seagate's were horrible in RAID 0 and RAID 1, they kept getting out of sync and failing.

It is... but these days for HDD's, I'd like to know how well they hold up in RAID arrays. Maybe something to include in reviews? My last Seagate's were horrible in RAID 0 and RAID 1, they kept getting out of sync and failing.

The only problem with doing that, is its hard to base any sort of statement after a day or two of testing in RAID.

The only problem with doing that, is its hard to base any sort of statement after a day or two of testing in RAID.

I know, but maybe a follow-up review for SSD/HDD's? One thing almost all reviews can never really give is the long-term build quality. Mostly user reviews can find those issues after a few weeks/months, but most problems start appearing within the first week or so, anyway. SSD/HDD's seem the most important since they hold all the data.

I've used:

2 Seagate Barracuda 32GB's RAID 0 - result, failed after a few hours. As single drives, worked perfectly fine.

2/4 Seagate Barracuda 1TB's RAID 1/10 - result, works fine with some issues. When failing in RAID set-up, known good single drives go bad. Not sure why.

2 WD Caviar Black 1TB's RAID 0 - result, did not meet expected performance results. Gets beat by 2 WD Caviar Blue 1TB's and 2 WD Caviar Black 640GB's in RAID 0.

2 WD Caviar Green 1TB's RAID 1 - result, works fine with no issues.

2/4/8 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's RAID 0/1 - result, works fine with no issues, very fast in RAID 0.

4/8 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's RAID 10 - result, works fine with no issues, fast.

My next foray will probably be 2TB drives (or maybe skip a generation and go for 4TB drives) for expanded storage, but in RAID 10. Four drives is even quite an investment... which is why I went full bore with 28 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drives, they hold up awesome (especially in RAID) and are the cheapest as well as fastest 7200RPM drives.

You can find these for around $80 right now which makes them quite tempting. I need to build a storage box and I may pick up some of these. Then I can let El_Capitan know how they perform in a RAID array.

You can find these for around $80 right now which makes them quite tempting. I need to build a storage box and I may pick up some of these. Then I can let El_Capitan know how they perform in a RAID array.

Right on!