Best CPU Cooler 2011 So Far?

bennymx

Got my i7 920 stock want to OC it something to the tune of 4ghz. Possible on a Noctua NH-D14? Any other coolers capable of this? < I don't know much bout coolers. Not worried about price but not really looking at water cooling so top line air cooler is what i need. My PSU is 650W with that GTX570 i know i need more ill upgrade if need i just left it there for the short term. New PSU probably be Corsair HX850 or 1000.

Edited by bennymx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my i7 920 stock want to OC it something to the tune of 4ghz. Possible on a Noctua NH-D14? Any other coolers capable of this? < I don't know much bout coolers. Not worried about price but not really looking at water cooling so top line air cooler is what i need. My PSU is 650W with that GTX570 i know i need more ill upgrade if need i just left it there for the short term. New PSU probably be Corsair HX850 or 1000.

Can't go wrong with the Noctua NH-D14!

The Hyper 212+ is also a great cooler but I don't know if it can sustain good temps at 4.0GHz.

IMO I think no matter what you can never go wrong with a Zalman cooler. I've always had awesome temp drops and always reliability and durability from Zalman coolers. Looks like it may be around $20 cheaper on NewEgg than the Noctua(even though you said $$$$ no problem, it's always nice to save) and I'd be willing to bet you'd get at least the same temp drops if not even better from the Zalman. That Noctua does look like an extremely nice cooler as well though...

Yeah that NH-D14 is so big only thing i need to check is if it clears my ram. Ive got heatsinks on my ram but they dont stick up too much. I heard Thermalright Silver arrow is also just as good. 4ghz is my aim hopefully an air cooler can do it :) i only game so no heavy video rendering or anything.

Will the PSU take a GTX570 and 4ghz i7? or go to 850?

Edited by bennymx

How much room do you have in your case? I love my Scythe cooler (the one in my sig), but it's more for quiet than cooling with the low rpm fan that comes with it. Course, you could change that out and it'd be a real high performer--but there is another cooler that's just about as large that comes with higher cfm fans that I can't recall the name of, something like a CoolerMaster V8? I dunno and I don't really dig push/pull configurations because no one has been able to explain to me how this is any better at all. [edit: Oh, it must have been a different one, I just looked up the V8 and it only has one fan]

You may just compare some of the more popular choices on newegg.

There are any number of good choices it just depends on how much space you have and how much noise you are willing to tolerate. I can't stand any noise levels above the lower 20s in DBa, but I'm extremely picky in this regard and many people don't seem to have the slightest problem with their pc sounding like a jet plane. Just read reviews and keep asking for opinions until you find a nice balance. Also, make sure you use good thermal paste and that it is applied correctly.

Be aware, many (most?) of the larger heat sink assemblies have to be mounted through holes on the motherboard to a backplate and depending on your case will require you to remove the motherboard. Also, maybe do google searches for your motherboard model and the name of the cooler you are thinking about to maybe stumble upon some other peoples experiences (or maybe even pictures).

And lastly, watch out for big heat sinks because sometimes they will only accomodate low profile ram depending on where the ram slots are located. You can see what I'm talking about in this picture of my box

IMG_3625_resize.jpg

Bruce

[edit: i noticed your system specs. If you are just overclocking for sport, thats cool, but if your primary purpose is increasing performance, a much more dramatic increase that you would immediately feel could be had by dropping an SSD in that box . . . and then overclock it, too!]

Edited by caxis0

Is this your RAM set? The one in your sig? If so it looks like it has pretty low profile heatsinks on them so I am pretty sure any of the above mentioned coolers should fit. But it never hurts to double check for yourself.

My case is a thermaltake armor + full tower. Heaps of room. Yes thats my RAM. Should fit.

Also how much of a difference would an SSD make with the i7 @ 4ghz as opposed to having the standard hd's and i7 @ 4ghz?

The Hyper 212+ is also a great cooler but I don't know if it can sustain good temps at 4.0GHz.

What you saying man? I got 70c on my CM GemminIIS @ 4.0 this afternoon! :P

My ambient was 14C :lol: had my window wide open.

My case is a thermaltake armor + full tower. Heaps of room. Yes thats my RAM. Should fit.

Also how much of a difference would an SSD make with the i7 @ 4ghz as opposed to having the standard hd's and i7 @ 4ghz?

The SSD will rock your socks! It would be one of the most noticeable performance boosts you will ever experience - more noticeable than any CPU overclock. Just FAST. :woot:

Edited by Alexandre

• 4 months later...

I replaced my old Cool Master Hyper Z600 push pull, with the Noctua NH-D14. What a mistake I made. The Hyper idle temps were 24c/28c, Prime 95 temps after 1 hour 62c. D14 idle temps 39c/42c. Prime 95 after 1 hour 72c. Removed D14 and checked Therm paste and contact points between cpu and base plate. Cleaned installed paste and cooler, ran tests again, no change. Ambiant temps 23c.

Very unimpressed with the lack of performance of this product. The Hyper Z600 cools better passively, than the D14 with 3 in line 120mm push pull fans. The only reason I bought the D14, was all the hype and good reviews on how good it cools. It is clear they never installed and used the Hyper Z600, a far superior cooler at a much lower cost factor. I will be installing the The Z600 and use the D14 as a $73.00 paper weight, or a one way boat anchor.

Cool Master 932 HAF, i7 920 DO @ 4.030ghz, Asus P6X58D Prem, G.Skill 1600 @ 12g, 2xBarracuda 80g raid0, 1 WD 2T C/B, EVGA GTX 560 Ti. 9800 GTX+ (dedicated physX), Ulra LSP 750w P/S.

The overclocking done to this cpu was performed step by step from the oc forum.

Live and learn :yucky: