PSU Possible Problem

Hello everyone

Recently at startup I get my mobo logo for a second or 2 , then my logon screen for a second or 2. In between it's a black screen. After 4-5 startup attempts my logon screen stays put and I'm good to go. Can't find a problem with memory, cpu, or hard drive. BIOS is at default settings. Performance Report flags "Abnormally Stopped System Service", specifically !SASCORE, "Path - Unknown"; "Started - False"; "State - Stopped".

Can anyone postulate if this is a PSU or Mobo problem?

My system: Windows 7 - 64 bit; Mobo - DFI Lanparty Dk P35-T2RS; CPU - Intel Q9550; PSU - Corsair HX620W; RAM - Mushkin (4x2gb); Video - NVIDIA 8500GT; Audio - Creative Audigy; Primary hard drive - WDC SATA 320GB; Secondary hard drive - Samsung SATA 500GB; CD/DVD burners(2) - Samsung SATA SuperWriteMaster; Floppy - Sony; Case - CoolerMaster HAF932.

Sure appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Well, Do youu have a power supply tester or some known good components laying around that you could use to test with? I guess something to try first is to install your latest and greatest drivers for everything. use driver sweeper before you do.

Hi Bob

When did this problem start? Have you added any hardware software before this problem arose?

Hi Alexandre - thanks for your reply. No, did not add any hardware/software before the problem arose. The only thing I did was to uninstall "SuperAntispyware" but that was after the problem began. My system has been in operation for less than a year with no problems till this one occured.

Bob

I fixed a prebuilt today that was acting like that and it turned out to be the MB.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I sure hope it's not the mobo. All these components were new and have been in operation for less than a year.

Bob

Well, Do youu have a power supply tester or some known good components laying around that you could use to test with? I guess something to try first is to install your latest and greatest drivers for everything. use driver sweeper before you do.

Hi Boinker - thanks for your reply. All available drivers are up-to-date. Unfortunately I have no PSU tester and no spare for a swap. If the problem turns out to be the PSU I have to purchase another and RMA the Corsair HX620W which could then used as a spare when it's returned. If it's the mobo I'll need to look for a new one which is compatible with my needs and present components, and would constitute almost a new build since I'll need to replace RAM and do a full Windows 7 reinstall. What is strange to me is that once I get this rig fired up after 4-5 startups, I can then do restarts/reboots with no problem. The problem only occurs when I startup the next day.

Bob

Hello everyone

Recently at startup I get my mobo logo for a second or 2 , then my logon screen for a second or 2. In between it's a black screen. After 4-5 startup attempts my logon screen stays put and I'm good to go. Can't find a problem with memory, cpu, or hard drive. BIOS is at default settings. Performance Report flags "Abnormally Stopped System Service", specifically !SASCORE, "Path - Unknown"; "Started - False"; "State - Stopped".

Can anyone postulate if this is a PSU or Mobo problem?

My system: Windows 7 - 64 bit; Mobo - DFI Lanparty Dk P35-T2RS; CPU - Intel Q9550; PSU - Corsair HX620W; RAM - Mushkin (4x2gb); Video - NVIDIA 8500GT; Audio - Creative Audigy; Primary hard drive - WDC SATA 320GB; Secondary hard drive - Samsung SATA 500GB; CD/DVD burners(2) - Samsung SATA SuperWriteMaster; Floppy - Sony; Case - CoolerMaster HAF932.

Sure appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance

Bob

It wouldn't be a PSU issue if your able to restart it 4 to 5 times then able to login to Windows (normally when PSUs are bad nothing will happen at all, from my past troubles anyway)... That is what your saying correct? If anything, that sounds like you may have RAM issue or corrupt Window files possibly. Try removing all but one stick of RAM and see what happens and/ or try running a Windows repair from your Windows installation disc.

Just a clarification, does the computer go into POST every time you reboot and then stops at the Windows login screen? Or is it not even reaching POST?

Alexandre,

Maybe I can write a better explanation. When starting up (which has always been slow - Event ID 100) I always get my mobo logo for about a second, then black screen for a short time, then my logon screen for about a second, then a black screen. That is as far as I get. I shut down and start again and the same thing always happens until the 5th startup. Usually on the 5th startup my mobo logo appears for about 5 seconds. Then I'll get a screen with with a bunch of stuff like "PCI Listings" for maybe 2 seconds. After a short time my logon screen will appear and remain onscreen. Then I can logon and am good to go. Something else: Event viewer shows only one Event ID (Event ID 100). That refers to the last boot that gets me up and running so obviously there's confirmation that Windows didn't start the 1st 4 times. What is strange is that once I'm up and running I can do reboots with no problem but when I shut down for the night and start again the next day I must go thru the same repeated startup/shutdown/startup procedure in order to finally get up and running. Connections are good. I've checked memory and hard drive and I've run chkdsk. All drivers have been updated and BIOS is at "Optimized Defaults".

Hope this helps you.

Bob

It wouldn't be a PSU issue if your able to restart it 4 to 5 times then able to login to Windows (normally when PSUs are bad nothing will happen at all, from my past troubles anyway)... That is what your saying correct? If anything, that sounds like you may have RAM issue or corrupt Window files possibly. Try removing all but one stick of RAM and see what happens and/ or try running a Windows repair from your Windows installation disc.

Thanks for your reply. I had a problem with a PSU once before and it started to create problems before it finally crashed so I'm wondering if this PSU is doing the same thing. I've tried removing and reinstalling the RAM, I've updated all drivers, I've run chkdsk, and BIOS is at "Optimized Default" setting. One problem I just discovered is the presence of !SASCORE which appears to be a leftover from the uninstallation of SuperAntispyware. I didn't know it is associated with that program so I'll get rid of it. Can't find anything else that is corrupt.

Yes, I am saying that I must typically do 5 startups/shutdowns/startups and on the 5th try my logon screen will remain onscreen so I can logon and good to go. What seems strange is that after I'm up and runing I can do reboots with no problem, but when I shutdown for the night and startup next day I must go thru the same routine. I use Avast AV, Malwarebytes, Wise Disc Cleaner, Ccleaner, and IoBit Advanced System Care. I really don't want to do a Windows repair except as a last resort because it's a real pain as you probably know if you have experience with Windows 7.

Bob

i have similar problem with my p35 chipset. cold bug problem. my sistem is restarting alone every 3 sec. clear cmos helped:) i figured out that low woltage on mb did that