psu dead maybe?

a couple of weeks ago my computer had a short inside of a broken usb port and stopped working, sort of, i can turn it on and all the fans spin and my cathodes light, but it wont go into bios or even kick the monitors on, the error code says its a power problem, could this actually be a problem within the mobo, or am i right assuming its the power supply?

its the system in my signature

Only really one way to test.. borrow a PSU from a friend of yours, and plug it into your system. If it boots, its your PSU... if it doesnt, its a number of other things, but being that there was a short on a USB port, id like to think your MoBo is a good place to start after the PSU.

I've shorted USB sockets before and got a message along the lines of "Overload on USB" or something similar but it shouldn't damage your hardware. Motherboards have to have short circuit protection on the USB ports, I think it's a requirement and part of the USB specification? The power supply certainly shouldn't be damaged if it's of reasonable quality. I notice your OCZ power supply is crossed out in your signature, what power supply are you using?

Maybe your bios is refusing to boot after you have a short therefore you may need to reset it to confirm there is no longer a short on the usb ports. First thing i would try is resetting your jumper on your board. Like paulktreg mentioned motherboards have short circuit protection so with the bios having safety features related to problems like this may just needed to be reset to make it work again. Hope this helps.

i tried clearing the cmos, and the ocz psu is the one the might have been damaged, and i dont really have a differnt one to try, but the gigabyte board pushes 3 times the usb standard power through it so you can plug more devices into a non powered hub so.....

i will see if i can find one out of a dell or something just to see if something happens, and then if it works ill buy a new one i dont know many people with extra parts, or any with a psu laying around, i hope this isnt going to be expensive, i might lose my fondness of amd or gigabyte if its something other than a power supply

I'm thinking this would be a mobo issue... I really find it hard to believe that a USB short on the mb would fry an entire PSU. How exactly did you "clear the CMOS"? Also, you say that the fans spin off and then goes back off..., does the fan on the PSU spin off along with the others? If so, chances of it being the PSU I believe are slim. Normally, or in my experiences, when the PSU goes you won't even have a spin off. I did have one that the fan went bad in the PSU and it would cause a spin off and then everything shut right back off...

I know this might not be it but give it a try.... unplug the computer from the outlet remove the cmos battery for 10 minutes then replace it and plug into outlet and try it

one more thing to try......remove all the memory but one stick I had a bad stick and it was doing just like yours is doing

I know this might not be it but give it a try.... unplug the computer from the outlet remove the cmos battery for 10 minutes then replace it and plug into outlet and try it

one more thing to try......remove all the memory but one stick I had a bad stick and it was doing just like yours is doing

omg thank you so much, bad ram, i removed one, i didn't work so switched them and it worked, but i find it very strange that it didnt ever give me a memory code. now i need a new ram stick, thank you all