Nvidia GPU BIOS voltage unlock and flashing

El_Capitan

There's quite a few threads out there in other forums, but thought I'd include one here.

The graphics card I'll be using is the GTX 460 1GB MSI Cyclone.

1. Download NiBiTor.v5.9 - Works with Windows 7 64-bit. You can also find newer versions here.

2. Download nvflash_windows_5.95.0.1 Works with Windows 7 64-bit. Latest version is here.

3. Move everything into one folder. For example: D:\GPU_Overclocking

post-70939-12948767140444_thumb.png

4. Launch Command Prompt and get to the folder with NVFlash. For example:

To get to the D: drive

D:

To get to the folder

cd GPU_Overclocking

5. It's very important to backup your original BIOS for multiple reasons. Name it to something you'll remember that it is the original BIOS.

For example:

Nvflash -b MSICyclone460Original.rom

6. Now, leave the Command Prompt open, you'll be getting to it in a bit. Launch NiBiTor.exe by double-clicking on it in your Windows Folder.

7. Click on File -> Open BIOS and select your original BIOS you just backed up.

post-70939-12948771233869_thumb.png

post-70939-1294877283641_thumb.png

8. You'll see your info update on NiBiTor. Now click on Tools -> Fermi Voltage.

post-70939-12948772955572_thumb.png

9. The Fermi Voltage Editor will pop up. Click on the Limit dropdown box and select the max allowed voltage, which is 1.2125v.

post-70939-12948773925651_thumb.png

10. Click Apply and Click on File -> Save BIOS.

post-70939-12948774662994_thumb.png

11. Rename the new BIOS so you know it's not the original.

post-70939-1294877527215_thumb.png

12. Now that you have the updated BIOS with the unlocked voltage, you just need to flash it.

If you don't have your GPU's in SLI, then all you need to do is run this in the Command Prompt (substitute MSICyclone460.rom for your unlocked voltage BIOS name):

Nvflash -4 -5 -6 MSICyclone460.rom

If you do have your GPU's in SLI, then run this to find out what position they're in:

Nvflash --list

Then when you find your GPU's, flash each one individually (assuming they're both the same identical cards):

Nvflash -i0 -4 -5 -6 MSICyclone460.rom
Nvflash -i1 -4 -5 -6 MSICyclone460.rom

13. Reboot your computer just to be safe. If everything's okay, go to MSI Afterburner and you'll see that your new limit for Core Voltage is 1212mV.

NOTE: Please allow for adequate cooling before attempting high voltage overclocks. Not only do you need to cool your GPU, but your memory, and VRM's.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder if i could do this to the 580.. ive heard u can.. but worth it?? for a few extra mhz?? i dunno

You might not want too. Isn't that a reference 580 that you've got? It'd probably increase your temps quite a bit.

Hmm. i would do this accept i want to sell my cards.

@matty i dont think its worth it. Rather be slightly slower and keep a warranty.

You can always back up the current BIOS and re-flash them to the Original BIOS and keep the warranty ;)

Also :thumbsup: to Capi for taking the time to write this out :biggrin:

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Cards don't die from a BIOS flash, especially if you do it the way shown. For shoots and giggles, I flashed my cards with a different BIOS to see what it would do, and when it booted, it gave me a funky screen once I logged into Windows (not before, or even during login), but I didn't crash. I was able to remote desktop into it fine, so I knew it was just the BIOS and nothing bad. I just rebooted and re-flashed back to my original BIOS using Windows Boot Disk (I could also flash it via RDP, but for those that don't have that configured...).

The only way your card wille die is by overheating.

Cards don't die from a BIOS flash, especially if you do it the way shown. For shoots and giggles, I flashed my cards with a different BIOS to see what it would do, and when it booted, it gave me a funky screen once I logged into Windows (not before, or even during login), but I didn't crash. I was able to remote desktop into it fine, so I knew it was just the BIOS and nothing bad. I just rebooted and re-flashed back to my original BIOS using Windows Boot Disk (I could also flash it via RDP, but for those that don't have that configured...).

The only way your card wille die is by overheating.

I know. The overheating is what i meant, if i were to flash the voltage thing and then oc higher and kill the card i could not re-flash the bios before sending it in for rma thus ruining my warranty. (not that i have a warranty on these cards)