Horrible flooding in Australia

Andrewr05

Over the past few days (still happening and getting worse as we speak) parts of Australia have been flooded very badly.

"Over 200,000 people have been affected and billions of dollars of damage have been caused. Floods now cover over 1 Million Sq Kilometers (386,000 sq Miles). To put that in a little perspective for most people ... the size of Montana, New Mexico and Arizona combined .... or France and Germany combined."

I heard about this on Reddit, here is the original posting with people from all over Australia chiming in.

Official info via the Queensland Government

You can donate to the relief effort HERE

Live up-to-date 24/7 news from News.au:

LINK

Live video feed of the Brisbane river:

LINK

ABC News coverage, feed:

LINK

Some Youtube videos of the devastation:

A smaller river washing away some cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

Rockhampton flooding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6114PyE_eo

TooWoomba flooding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins

Almost flooding a railway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOQit4hY-y4

wow good work andrew. i didnt expect an american to be the one to share the news.

its been all over the news all day here in Victoria and most channels have had extended news coverage. this morning i heard that 8 people were confirmed dead and i heard on the radio at work that 40 bodies had washed up.

its a sad day and my thoughts go out to anyone stuck in the area or who has friends/ loved ones in the area. :(

there was also a statistic like a certain river broke its banks for the first time in close to 40 years in a flood in the 70s. another one was also one that its the most rainfall the state has had since record keeping began. it certainly doesnt feel like summer in australia atm.

EDIT: the latest news is that the death toll is up to 10 with close to 80 people still missing from evacuated areas

Edited by bilcliff

Theres been a lot of flooding in the southern hemisphere , here in south africa we have been getting flooding too and it seems the flooding is the worst in australia

Who would have that that there would be all this water and not a drop to drink either?

Over 100,000 people need to boil there water first (if they even have appliances left to do so or a way to make a fire) or drink bottled water.

This is bad.

Geez, hope that lets up soon. I wonder what's causing it?

The big G.W. ?

I wondering though...why didn't anyone move their cars in the first video...like why didn't the camera dude tell people wth

90 people thought to be missing and 10 confirmed dead, this is getting bad.

The news said the Brisbane river is expected to increase in height by approximately 2 more METERS...

and for anyone wondering why it is flooding so bad:

"It has rained a considerable amount but more importantly we've just come out of a considerable length of drought. What the drought does is dry up all of the river beds and floodlands, so the earth there becomes hard and compact. This means that the rain, when it comes, doesn't soak into the earth as it might in less dry areas, but instead runs straight over it."

I'd pray for anyone down there if that made any sense whatsoever, instead I'll crack open a beer and wish you guys the best.

UPDATE:

Water is still rising in some cities/towns including the capital of Queensland - Brisbane.

45 Missing (9 gravely concerned about)

12 Dead (And more expected as the water begins to reseed in some areas allowing people to search flood zones)

Northern New South Wales is also experiencing some major flooding too.

Worst news: There is still more rain on the way....

Edit: Removed some unconfirmed information

Edited by Alexandre

I live in Brisbane but I' am lucky to be living in a suburb that won't be in the flooded area but. I've got Friends who have lost everything and sadly love ones to and it's heartbreaking and it really hit you to see it happening in your own back yard.