650w PSU enough for 5870 crossfire I7 rig?

I have recently upgraded my system and I am now running an i7950 overclocked to 4.2, 120 gig SSD, 6 sata hard drives (cant throw them away) and 5870 in crossfire all in a Haf X case (which has a couple of big fans).

I have only recently added the second 5870, prior to this my system was rock solid and now every now and then my computer just turns off! (Normally in the middle of a game of BC2!!)

My current PSU is a 650w Silverstone and I think that may be my problem. 650W is the minimum recommended wattage for crossfiring 5870's.

I am looking at getting myself a Silverstone 850w supply. Is this going to be enough power for a stable system?

Thanks for you help.

tried playing games on stock settings and less harddrives? the 650 watti is considerd as a recomended for crossfire but it is a tad to low for oc maniacs and many fans/hdd's i think you just come short of 50 watt or so...

dont know about silverstone brand for psu's maybe if you going to upgrade go for ocs or coolermaster?

also how old is your psu?

Edited by WarWeeny

You have already figured out your problem :thumbsup: Now you just need to upgrade to a bigger PSU. You could probably get by with a 800W, but why not prevent this from happening again and grab a 1000W ;)

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am right on the edge with this PSU (WARWEENY - the Silverstone 650 is 4 years old from my old core 2 system). I will remove the hard drives I rarely use short term and hopefully this will stop the problem until I get my new PSU.

SPEEDWAYNATIVE - I am on a limited budget for this PSU. $200 limit or I will be a single man :(

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am right on the edge with this PSU (WARWEENY - the Silverstone 650 is 4 years old from my old core 2 system). I will remove the hard drives I rarely use short term and hopefully this will stop the problem until I get my new PSU.

SPEEDWAYNATIVE - I am on a limited budget for this PSU. $200 limit or I will be a single man :(

Try use this PSU calculator to see how much wattage you need.

I've tried it myself and got a recommended wattage of about 750 watts (minimum of 700 watts) so it seems that your power supply is lacking ~50 watts under load.

You live in New South Wales, Australia right? If you do, you could get this Corsair 850TX PSU at MSY Australia for 178 bucks.

Corsair sell trusted and reliable PSUs and this one is on the OCC Recommended Power Supply List.

A 850 watt will run the system fine but not very efficiently.

Power supplies are most efficient when under 40-60% load while with a 850 you will be running it under ~88% load.

A general rule of thumb would be to double the number you get from the above PSU calculator, as this would mean your PSU would be running at approximately 50% load which means lower fan noise, lower power bill in the long run (more efficient use of power) and head room to upgrade your hardware in the future.

Given this I think a 1000-1200 watt power supply would probably suite you better as said by SpeedwayNative (means your will be running at ~75%-63% load) but it's more expensive so it really depends on how deep your pockets can go.

EDIT: Btw welcome to OCC! :thumbsup:

Edited by Alexandre

A 650W should handle them?

With an overclocked i7 and 2 5870s he's really really pushing the limit of his PSU (which is obvious given the shutdowns under load).

As a temporary stopgap he could remove his CPU OC to see if that brings the system back to stability.

Edited by Waco

I have recently upgraded my system and I am now running an i7950 overclocked to 4.2, 120 gig SSD, 6 sata hard drives (cant throw them away) and 5870 in crossfire all in a Haf X case (which has a couple of big fans).

I have only recently added the second 5870, prior to this my system was rock solid and now every now and then my computer just turns off! (Normally in the middle of a game of BC2!!)

My current PSU is a 650w Silverstone and I think that may be my problem. 650W is the minimum recommended wattage for crossfiring 5870's.

I am looking at getting myself a Silverstone 850w supply. Is this going to be enough power for a stable system?

Thanks for you help.

Yes. 850w fine. Seasonic x series, Corsair HX or AX series also very good.

With an overclocked i7 and 2 5870s he's really really pushing the limit of his PSU (which is obvious given the shutdowns under load).

As a temporary stopgap he could remove his CPU OC to see if that brings the system back to stability.

Yeah you're probably right.

I didn't realize how much power an overclocked i7 could pull. System draw of 180W at 3GHz jumping to 320W at 4.2GHz is one figure I've seen and that surprised me! Figure in the two cards and your hitting 600W with all those HDD's!

Yeah you're probably right.

I didn't realize how much power an overclocked i7 could pull. System draw of 180W at 3GHz jumping to 320W at 4.2GHz is one figure I've seen and that surprised me! Figure in the two cards and your hitting 600W with all those HDD's!

Use this calculator. http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Lol, Newegg has one, too: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

For my i7 950 at 3.818GHz @ 1.1678v, I'm pulling 118W at 100% load according to the Antec PSU Calculator (just for the CPU). At 4.37GHz @ 1.39 I'm pulling 191W at 100% load. Two HD 5870's in Crossfire (stock) is pulling 311W at 100% load according to Antec PSU Calculator.

Without anything else calculated in, I'm getting 602W on the Antec PSU Calculator with just an i7 950 at 4.37GHz @ 1.39v and two HD 5870's in Crossfire at stock while at 100% load. Count in the memory and upped memory voltages and overclock, optical drives, hard drives, fans, and anythiing else, it start to add up.

My system in that calculator gets me 751W, but it doesn't count my overclocked GTX 460 1GB's in SLI, either.