Prices of GTX 580 might be going down.

El_Capitan

Provantage has the Galaxy GTX 580 listed at $477.22, but it will take 3-4 weeks before it's delivered. In 3-4 weeks, the GTX 560 and HD 6990 are scheduled to be released. Makes sense to me that the prices for the GTX 580 will go down slightly by $20 - $30.

My guess is that the GTX 560 will be priced at around $260. The HD 6990 will be around $750. If the two gf110's that Nvidia plans on competing with the HD 6990 come to be, and if it's faster, it'll probably be priced at $950.

Still horrendously expensive, lol.

i dont think it'll be that high when the 6870 released at 350.00 im expecting around 600 so unless nVidia lowers the price of the 580 its gonna be ATI ftw AGAIN

I assume you meant HD 6970's at $350.00. :P

When the 5850's came out, they were around $279, then they kept going up until they cost nearly $310. The HD 5970 2GB started at around $600 when those prices started creeping up. If AMD does the same thing, you could see the HD 6950's going from $300 to $330 and the HD 6970 going from $350 to $380, and the HD 6990 starting at around the $700. It would be awesome if they could get the prices down to $600, which was what the HD 5970 2GB cost when it first came out. If that's the case, the GTX 580 would definitely need to drop it's prices down to the $425's, with the dual gf110's being around $900 (still too expensive).

The GTX 295 came out at a $500 price tag. I don't think anyone expects to pay $1,000 for a single graphics card. What it will really boil down to is the performance and cost of the HD 6990.

Yea, but Capi, if you remember when ATI released the 5800 series cards they had no competition from Nvidia for quite awhile. The reason those prices kept creeping up was supply and demand ;) They couldn't keep the cards in stock when they were 1st released and w/o any comp from the green team, ATI had a perfect situation to raise prices! Even after, when they started becoming available again, they were flying off the shelves. I would have raised prices too :evilgrin: But, this is a different market than that, Nvidia has the 5 Series cards out and the competition is much thicker this time around! I do think that now is a good time for us the consumer on gpu pricing because of this great comp between the 2 companies :D

If you don't think people exoect to pay $1,000 for a video card than you need to look at this and this and how about this one, those cards were well above $1,000 and people bought them. So obviously some people will buy anything no matter what the cost. But yes those are not mainstream video cards and they are on the extreme end of the spectrum but still it is possible to make and sell a video card that costs over $1,000 and people will buy them.

If you don't think people exoect to pay $1,000 for a video card than you need to look at this and this and how about this one, those cards were well above $1,000 and people bought them. So obviously some people will buy anything no matter what the cost. But yes those are not mainstream video cards and they are on the extreme end of the spectrum but still it is possible to make and sell a video card that costs over $1,000 and people will buy them.

Like you said, in general (mainstream) people don't buy these cards. They are for a niche market, and yes do get purchased. I know if they price the 6990 anywhere close to those cards, I will be 1 very unhappy gpu customer. Or should I say AMD will have 1 less 6990 buyer ;) I am thinking that the $600-$700 price range looks like the ideal market, especially given the prices of the 580. Get the 6990 close to $600, with some great results once reviewed, and I will be a happy 6990 owner, just waiting for Crysis 2 :popcorn:

Well when the 295's were released I had 2 of them in quad-sli and I paid 600 dollars each for them and Im in the mainstream market.... right now I have 2 5870s in CF that beat the crap out of those 295's I used to have..... If nVidia ACTUALLY PRODUCES a dual gpu gf110 card i doubt it'll cost less then 800 and alot more people will be leaning towards the 6990 as well as myself. BUT they promised a dual gpu card then the 480 came out and failed horribly which is why I dont think they'll make one.

I think nvidia is not going to release a two gf110. They have the fastest single card. AMD has to produce a 6990 to trump nvidia. Simply speculating.

With new component releases the prices are always lower than the previous though. Look at hdd capacity or ram for example.

The manufacturers are simply making business. The market for the fastest card is something they want a percentage of.

With the range of card produced the associated sale prices just don't warrant a place for a gf110. That kind of business is too small. Therefore, the price adjustments (where does the new card fit in to the market).

Edited by sticknstone