AMD 6970 and 6950 Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaking WoW! Nvidia actually takes over the "green" aspect of power/heat this round, very impressive! But, I have to say I am also very impressed with the performance of the 6970, especially in the Crysis Warhead testing! 12fps higher overclocked @ 1920x1200 is a huge difference! With Crysis 2 heavily on my mind, I will have some tough decisions coming up on gpu's! Still can't believe that the AMD 6970 is now the card that needs to be under water

edit - LMFAO @ myself, so excited about this review, didn't notice the 12fps higher card was a 5970! :pfp:

Edited by SpeedwayNative

Freaking WoW! Nvidia actually takes over the "green" aspect of power/heat this round, very impressive! But, I have to say I am also very impressed with the performance of the 6970, especially in the Crysis Warhead testing! 12fps higher overclocked @ 1920x1200 is a huge difference! With Crysis 2 heavily on my mind, I will have some tough decisions coming up on gpu's! Still can't believe that the AMD 6970 is now the card that needs to be under water ;)

edit - LMFAO @ myself, so excited about this review, didn't notice the 12fps higher card was a 5970 :pfp:

Sorry for being rude Ccokeman I was very sleepy and in a bad mood :( but anyways great review I can see that the 6970 gives the 580 a run for its money but its really shocking how performance/power are matching the 500 series. I think the 570 is so far (after the 460) nvidia's best bang for buck card this year its a mega win win for us. All I don't get is why are different sites reporting diff benches? Some sites say that the 6970 is on par with the 570 while others are saying it's a little better all I want to know is which can overclock better?

Edited by ddkshah

Great review ! Too bad its not toppling the 580 . A little bit of dissappointment about that . But it beats the 5870 so that must be an achievement for AMD . But 1.5k shaders ?! I was really thinking that 1.9k would be ideal

Yea, Nyt I may just stick with the 5970 for now! And wait for the dual 6970 gpu on a single card ;)

ccokeman - Heck of a job on this review! The colors on the graphs are perfect, very easy to read :thumbsup:

Edited by SpeedwayNative

its really a much needed redesign of the architecture. It was inevitable AMD make their SPs a little less simple. Not such a bad thing in the end. I think its gonna be extremely close on the battle of the dual GPUs. It actually may go in nvidias favor.

The temperature page, the graphs should be reversed. The idle/load stock temps shouldn't be lower than the idle/load overclocked temps. :P

I thought the same thing once on a review a little while back! The fan speed at stock clocks is also at stock. When ccokeman starts the OC, he raises the fan up to 100%, which explains how this is possible!

I thought the same thing once on a review a little while back! The fan speed at stock clocks is also at stock. When ccokeman starts the OC, he raises the fan up to 100%, which explains how this is possible!

Ah! Thanks! Wow, these cards run pretty hot... and the fan noise at 100%... :unsure:

Reading other reviews, they seem to crossfire really well. I'm sure 3 HD 6970's in tri-fire would give 2 GTX 580's in SLI a run for their money!

Ah! Thanks! Wow, these cards run pretty hot... and the fan noise at 100%... :unsure:

When it comes to temps/power - The tables have turned Charlie Murphy!

I would think 3 6970's in tri-fire would beat 2 580's in SLI, and for about the same price ;)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

I'm sure 3 HD 6970's in tri-fire would give 2 GTX 580's in SLI a run for their money!

Proably since Im on par with a pair of heavily oc'ed 480's so I can assume three 6970's will kick butt !