Important Notice About The Forum Reputation System

Take away negative rep and only allow positive rep.

Insert code that prevents multiple positive rep - works on other forums using the same system, though perhaps tweaked a little.

AVForums is a perfect example with the "thanks" system. Member has x thanks and has thanked y times, and shows who said thanks. On HotUKDeals, if you repped someone too many times (3 times) in quick succession, it would advise you to rep some other people before trying to rep that person again.

Negative rep will always be abused, despite it meaning very little.

Another solution would be only allow staff, admins, and moderators to give points, based on the same criteria that everyone was supposed to follow. Members could recommend someone get the rep, but only those few could actually grant it. Of course this would add some more work to those people, but it wouldn't be a forum if I didn't offer my idea.

To be honest though, I don't see the point of the system. The most active posters either know what they're talking about, have a good idea of what they're talking about, or know enough to stay quiet. The new people will probably try to take the most in depth response or get the average feeling of all the responses. Really I don't think an explicit rep system is needed, because the implicit one should be enough. If you're posting something, chances are you're not trying to mislead anyone, and if you are, you will be in the minority and enough other people will shoot down your response that there will be good information to replace the bad.

It has been brought to my attention that some members have been abusing the forum's new reputation system. The main case is where one or more users repeatedly assign a negative rep to another member's post for no valid reason, other than they do not like the person. This type of action is not appropriate for OCC and is a violation of the OCC Forum Rules. Some may even consider this act a form of "cyber bullying".

Another observed instance of abusing the reputation system is where two (or more) members agree to continuously increase each other's reputation. This is also an unacceptable behavior.

As stated when we announced the forum reputation system was enabled, the usage of the reputation system is being monitored. Those abusing or trying to game the system will suffer consequences, up to and including permanent ban.

As a result of abuse, several members have already received multi-day suspensions and / or had their ability to assign reputation points disabled.

I vote to just Disable the REP system...

it has only been active less than 2 weeks or so and it has already been abused by a vast majority of member....that alone shows this system is going to be constantly abused...

Members who arent likes are going to be constantly Negatively Rep'd even if a post is constructive just because he or she may not be liked by certain memebers...I am sure you already see that...

Same can be said for liked members...some will Rep them regardless because they are popular liked members...

Personally I wont use the system just for this reason...good day

Ooooh suuuuuuure..... everyone complains that the rep system isn't enabled, so we enable it and now everyone wants it to be disabled. I see how it is. :P

I suspect after a few bans people will realize that I mean business.

Ooooh suuuuuuure..... everyone complains that the rep system isn't enabled, so we enable it and now everyone wants it to be disabled. I see how it is. :P

The changes we're in support of are changes back :P

Would it be possible to have member's enable and disable the rep system for themselves? For instance I don't really care so I could set it in my account so no one can give me rep nor can I give anyone else rep. Or is that not a feature of the software?

Eh...if I could I would ban anyone who uses it as well as receives it....but then I might be here all by myself...lol

Says the person who was at like -40 before this refresh :lol::cheers:

-60 you mean.

Though it didn't bother me much... I personally don't care if it's left working or disabled, just a suggestion so that threads like these don't get started.