GTX 460 Sonic Video Card from Palit Examined

OCC reviewer ccokeman puts yet another GTX 460 to the test, the Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum. Will the factory overclock and non-reference design be enough to make the 5850 tremble in it boots? Read on and find out - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx460_sonic_platinum/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good thing you tested one without the VRM heatsink. Now my only question is, was it silent? I'm sorry if you already answered this in the article somewhere, I couldn't bother to read it because I've already seen what the GTX 460 is capable of.

When you leave the fan speed alone it is pretty much silent. Just like any video card out today cranking the fan speed up results in more noise. Even so it was not nearly as bad as some of the ATI or Nvidia reference heatsinks.

Thanks for the review. Very nice.

Yes, the GTX460 is good card and people are trying to find any mistake they can regarding the card.

The fact is, good price-point, good core/memory clock. Solid card.

Thanks for the review. Very nice.

Yes, the GTX460 is good card and people are trying to find any mistake they can regarding the card.

The fact is, good price-point, good core/memory clock. Solid card.

Makes the GTX 465 obsolete!

Hello !

I have some questions about the Palit GTX460 card .

I cannot identify in the pictures of the review the voltage controller chip of the card. I'm interested in this because where I live, the Palit cards are among the cheapest, over 30 euros cheaper than the others. I want to Voltmod the GTX460 via Software (Msi afterburner/Rivaturner) and I don't know if it's possible. I've read on a chinese reviews site (google translated, but it was backed with pictures of the card ) that Palit and Gainward (they are the same company) short lenght PCB cards have NCP 5395 as voltage controller. This chip is different from the one used in the original Nvidia design, the NCP5388.

So, to enlighten meand, maybe others, I see that you used the Afterburner 1.6.1 to overclock the card, and the voltage bar was functional. Did you enabled the voltage option through the options/.inf/.ini files of the Afterburner ? It was functional from the start ?

Can you check the back of the Palit card and write here the markings on the NCP chip (it's located in line with the Pci express power connector in the middle of the card, square size) please ?

Thanx alot for the review.

Waiting for other reviews like this one, and please try overclocking with and without voltage mods, it can say lots of things about a design, even if it comes down to each unique sample/card.